Little silkie went for a ride in the dog's mouth!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4boysmom, May 11, 2008.

1. 4boysmom

4boysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    DH caught his dad's dog with one of my little silkies in it's mouth....amazingly, he dropped it & the little fella or gal is fine!

I had moved the chicks down to the pen in their own special area, but there was a tiny place it squeezed through & then the big 'ole roo must have chased it & I guess it squeezed out the door.

I'm just glad it survived! The lone silkie I hatched last year had a run in with this same little dog!

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Why was DH's Dad's dog roaming in your yard? I would tell Dad to leave the mutt at home or confined. [​IMG]

Glad the baby is okay.

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Contrary to popular opinion, not all dogs are heathen killers, all the time. Sounds like things went well enough.

Just dont turn your back on the dog.

4. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    My dogs once picked up a grouse chick that my hubbys wolfcross had pounced on. I sawa little leg stickoing out of her mouth and told her to drop it. It was fine, she just was holding it. Some dogs have very soft mouths, she was a lab/malamute/pitty cross.

5. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Yeah, a lot of the bird dogs have a soft grip. We had a Golden Retriever that picked up a newborn baby bird that fell out of the nest and brought it to us. Perfectly fine! They can be really scary to have carrying around your chickens, though! LOL! Luckily, it worked out this time. Hopefully your FIL will keep his dog up next time!

Shelly

6. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    When I was a kid, we had a Black Lab-German Shorthair cross. He was a great retriever, and would give the game birds we shot a quick crunch to kill them if they were still alive. He also used to catch the pigeons we had that were allowed to fly loose when they came to eat in a big bin we had for them. He would reach in, grab one, and bring it unharmed to the house. He would give it to us, get some praise, and then we'd just let the bird go. He never killed one of them. He was truly amazing.

7. amysue2012

amysue2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    My black lab does great with my chickens. If they head for the flower bed my old black lab will get up mosey on over to them let out a deep bark the chickens will look up and go on their way. I love it that she keeps them out of my flowers.

8. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    When I was a kid, we had an outdoor dog, a border collie/aussie mix. She would bring us an egg every few days. She'd go to the coop, pick up an egg from a nest, carry it to the garage, and leave it unbroken on the doormat outside the garage door. Chicks are a different story, but many dogs do know how to be gentle with their mouths. Lucky little chick!

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    While there are plenty of "good dog" stories, I can only hear them half heartedly. I'm somewhat sensitized to dogs, since I had an entire flock of A-lorps massacred by my own hounds. These were delightful, loving pets, friendly and
    by all accounts, great dogs. They had never shown the slightest interest in the birds before the incident.

Not a bird was left alive - none were eaten, only killed for sport. It looked like a war zone. I was devastated... I really liked those A-lorps.

I dont trust any dog since then and can only suggest you don't either.

10. Chicken Cluck

Chicken Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Phew! I'm glad nothing happened to your chicken. My Boxer took down 4 swallows!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by