Little silky hen - lethargic and swollen butt area

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickmommar, Oct 29, 2010.

1. chickmommar

chickmommar Chillin' With My Peeps

She seemed okay yesterday but didn't want to move today. I noticed some droppings in her fluff, picked her up and found she is greatly swollen in the back end. I brought her in the house now so I can see whether she can poop at all. She doesn't lay eggs and hasn't since we adopted her in early summer. She is about a year and a half old. I've got her on a towel with a dish of some moistened food and another with water with apple cider vinegar. Any ideas for me? My husband is out of town and he just loves this little girl. I'm afraid I'm going to lose her and break his heart. Thanks for your thoughts. The other chickens seem just fine.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. chickmommar

Thank you for your reply and what an interesting page! Her poop looks normal except there isn't as much of it as normal - because she's not eating enough, I think. I let her go back with her buddies and she has perked up some. I am concerned about the swelling of her lower abdomen but we will watch her and hope for the best. She's just the cutest little black silky.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I don't have any experience with eggbound hens, but do you think there is an egg in there maybe stuck? Just a thought. If you do, you can do a search for "eggbound" on this message board.

Also look up "prolapse" if you want.

I really hope this resolves on its own.

See post#2
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=26414

I'm wondering if she is eggbound.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  5. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Would bathing her maybe help ease the swelling and maybe release an egg if she's eggbound?

6. chickmommar

If one of my ducks was eggbound, I would float her in a warm bath to help her relax and hopefully expel the egg. But I've never tried to bathe a chicken. I will keep it in mind. Thank you for your concern and ideas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by