Little story of the Incident that cemented my decision to get hens...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by CSWolffe, Jun 9, 2011.

1. CSWolffe

CSWolffe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    I've wanted backyard chickens for years now, but like most of my other fantasy projects, I never seemed to get around to them.
    Then last year, my boss and I were building a garage for my cousin-I'm a carpenter by trade. My cousin keeps chickens and goats, mostly so his property keeps its agricultural zoning, to allow his wife to run her doggy-daycare business. Anyway, they get far more eggs than they can eat, and they regularly sent us both home with a dozen farm fresh eggs, white, brown and even some blue and green. My family pounced on them, devouring them eagerly. My daughters fought over who got to eat the green and blue eggs.
    When I asked my boss how he liked the eggs, he kind of shrugged. He was turned off by the orange yolk. Yolks are yellow, he told me, not orange. Not only that, but he would only eat the white eggs. Eggs come from the store, and they are white. I managed to convince him that the brown is just pigment, that they taste the same. He still wasn't sure, but promised to try a brown egg. He did manage to summon up enough bravery to eat a brown egg, but absolutely would not eat a green or blue.
    Wow.
    This made me think. We, as a society, have this enormous disconnect between our food's source and our plate. To my boss, food came from the store, and he was only comfortable eating things he had eaten before. Eggs came from cartons, milk from a jug, meat didn't come from an animal but instead came in little shrink-wrapped packages from the grocery store. Not even a butcher, he would not visit a butcher. He didn't like fish because he could see the face on some of them, lying there in the ice behind the glass.
    I don't want my kids to grow up like that. So now we have a cute little coop with four young hens, right next to my cute little garden.
    I'm not sure I have it in me to get a turkey to fatten up, I don't think I could kill my kids pet; and knowing my kids, it will become a pet. But it's a start. And now that I finally have my hens, I have discovered bee keeping...

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] You are going to find plenty of chicken enablers here LOL!

3. Player Hater

Player Hater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    those pale yolks are from birds who live in tiny cages and have never eaten a bug or a blade of grass [​IMG]

welcome to byc, enjoy your eggs

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Good for you! I started in much the same way. I wanted a few hens so that we could have eggs. We now have a dozen hens and we recently started raising meat birds for sale (never in a million years thought we would do that!) We are trying turkeys for the first time this year and buy a steer for butcher from a local farm every year. I love that my kids really know where their food comes from and when they are grown, they will know how to provide the same for their family.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You sound so much like me......I can't tell you how much I enjoy my flock of chickens. I am so proud to get those fresh eggs, and we have a garden and this year, it's the best garden ever! I'm going to take a canning class. My husband put up a clothes line for me and I enjoy hanging the clothes up to dry.....

I'm getting a few goats soon.....To help with brush control around the house as we are surrounded by a small woods. And I may just get a doe, so I can learn to make cheese and have fresh goat's milk......

I crochet too....I just love making blankets by hand and giving them as gifts.......

All these simple things mean alot to me.......More work, yes, but I get such satisfaction from them.....

6. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    I grew up in an "free-range is a hippie conspiracy, industrial farming is an animal rights lie, it all tastes the same but the liberals want to charge more for their froo froo products" household, and it wasn't until I left home and started...having a thought process...and actually a few years after that when I had my first egg from a home fed hen. One of our friends got some chickens and gave us some fresh eggs. I was sure there wouldn't be a difference. Wow! Just cracking it open and seeing a yolk that had some actual color was a shock. The taste was amazing. I was finally able to make yellow cakes from scratch that were actually yellow with no added food coloring thanks to those orange yolks.

Best of luck in these exciting new ventures. [​IMG]. The level of disconnect in many things within our society is...something to behold. I'm so glad to hear that your kids will get to explore a more grounded and rewarding life.

7. chickensarefamily2me

chickensarefamily2me Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    Argyle, Texas
    Haha! I started in a weird way. I play alot of video games, and I got addicted to Harvest Moon series. It's a farming game! No matter what, I would have 1 cow, but 20 chickens! I begged my Dad for over a year. We finally got some over 7 years ago. That was back when I was ten, and short. LOL! I'm glad you got chickens!

8. CSWolffe

CSWolffe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    Thanks all for your support!
    I love how enthusiastic chicken peeps are! And I think it's great how more and more people are returning to this way of life, producing at least some of their own food.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG] from California! And most definitely, to chicken keeping and the folks on BYC who are THE most helpful, understanding enablers .... Errr.... "friends you've never met."

10. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    Chickens are great. Even if you don't butcher them, if you have them just for eggs....that's great too.
    Mine were intended to be just for eggs, but my girls have become a big part of my life, my boys too.
    Everyone has a name, a unique personality and they give plenty of love.
    Eggs, meat, great friends, private fertilizer squads, whatever you want...they are great.

That's really sad about your boss....now that I have pet chickens it's hard for me to think that what I'm eating from the store looked like them once, but I'm sure the bird I'm eating had a pretty crappy life....so maybe it's better that way. I don't know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by