little sucker scratched my cornea!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Ravishaw, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Songster

May 7, 2010
    So my neighbor wanted to offload his three chickens so his cattle could eat the grass on the lot that had been set aside for the chickens. I took them because one was a barred rock, one white leghorn, and the rooster is some kind of splash. He's not impressive looking yet and seems rather dim in my opinion. They're definetely more skittish than my 12 well behaved little hens.

In fact, my hens are used to perching on one little roost five feet off the ground. These guys winds are clipped, and I don't know that they can jump to the intermediate perch. So I lift them up at night so they can roost up top. Well my pullets are stressed with the recent additions and so they are walking on eggshells as of late. Even my reclusive wynadottes are social divas compared to the newcomers.

Well yesterday morning I was out messing with them all. Feeding them, petting my little suzy-the-smallest-rhode-island-red, and the new BR is establishing herself as dominant hen by pecking all the others. Mine would try to stand up to her by puffing up and flapping their wings but she'd douse any reprisal with a sharp peck. I didn't like it because she skewered a feather off one of my little ameracaunas. So I bugged the BR a bit... Then I bugged the rooster, held him, and rubbed his waddles and comb. Just when I set him down one of MY barred rocks jumped up on my shoulder. I reached with my left hand to grab her feet and turned my head just the tiniest bit and WHAM!!!! Pecked in the eye.

That hurt!

Later at work i couldn't see boo so I went to the opthamologist who confirmed a scratched cornea and prescribed drops for keeping the scrape clean.

And to think I had just been defending that little thing!

2. AdrieeC

AdrieeC Pink Roses Farm

Mar 14, 2010
    Pearl River
    The common phrase around our house: "Those darn chickens." Comes to mind. I love em' anyhow! [​IMG] I hope your eye gets better soon.

3. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Songster

May 7, 2010
    thanks. it feels MUCHO better today (blurry still).

4. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Songster

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    Wow! Cornea scratches are nothing to mess with - I hope it heals A.O.K. for you!

5. AJ666

AJ666 Songster

Apr 5, 2010
    La Crosse, WI
    One time I was laying in the grass dozing off. I heard a loud peep in my ear, opened my eyes, and saw my giant white turkey, her head about three inches from my face. She cocked her head, and got that look in her eye. I didnt even have time to blink! Ow...

6. yes to a chicken our eyes are shiny which means "Oh we got to peck it!" Same with any bird really. I won't let my chickens within eye pecking reach after I pecked on the eye lid by one because 2 years ago I had to wear a freakin' patch on my eye from where I had something whack me in the eye - break through my contact and had to go get the piece of trash and contact removed from my eye- leaving a scar on my cornea. *rolls eyes* Luckily it healed it really nice - but I can't wear contacts all day anymore and I can't have laser surgery like I planned to do - because of that scar. [​IMG] Eye injuries are no joke - take care of it and it will be fine though.

No more getting 'eye to eye' with the chickens [​IMG]

take care, hope it heals quick and well!

7. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Songster

May 7, 2010
    no, i'm not planning on getting that up close anymore.
    My daughter only 2 and one of my little hens pecked her lip (then pecked MINE).

I was sitting down holding her when she got mine, but she just jumped up and pecked her.

I don't want to clip their wings because I like my hens looking whole and happy. These new hens and the rooster look altered. Maybe they're getting ready to molt too because they just look like second hand chickens. [​IMG]

8. Siler

Siler Songster

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Wow you're lucky. You could have ended up with more damage. When I was a kid I scratched my cornea and I had to wear an eye patch for an entire summer while it healed. Worst summer ever!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: