Little Tike playhouse into Chicken palace

miss heny

BYC Cryptid
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jan 30, 2010
Louisville, Mississippi
Like many this thread is dedicated into turning the Cape Cottage Little Tike house into a chicken palace. However I would love insight from those who done it before hand as type we build our coops from wood not plastic. The basic plans is to add hardwire cloth, replace once door with wood and add assortment of details. (Including but not limited to: a platform due to my mobility issues, stick and peel tile floor, fancy chicken run.).

Photo attached is the playhouse victim. It isn't a double wall plastic so I was wondering if we should reinforce parts with wood, also what screws do people typically go for when converting these things? I hope to document the whole process to help people and just for the funsies.

Attachments

• 20220609_114937.jpg
    20220609_114937.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 120
Following, very curious on where this project goes. Could definitely see this becoming the home to a really nice dustbathing spot!

As for screws, I'd have to see the material in question, but I would probably avoid screws in general. I would probably "pre-drill" holes with a soldering iron then use a bolt+nut to hold things together. Some of these old plastics like to shatter on impact, but heat should do well.

*Of course, do this outside and preferably wear a respirator, the melting process is going to be BAD!

Following, very curious on where this project goes. Could definitely see this becoming the home to a really nice dustbathing spot!

As for screws, I'd have to see the material in question, but I would probably avoid screws in general. I would probably "pre-drill" holes with a soldering iron then use a bolt+nut to hold things together. Some of these old plastics like to shatter on impact, but heat should do well.

*Of course, do this outside and preferably wear a respirator, the melting process is going to be BAD!
This is 100% new, bought on sale from Walmart so no need to worry about it shattering. Goal is make it into a proper coop (I already have plans how to winter proof it when that comes. The open windows though in the summer here is nice ventilation.)

Back
Top Bottom