Little too chasing my big girl

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Skye727, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Skye727

Skye727 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2014
    Sandy, oregon
    My cochin bantam roo is chasing my barred rock all over the yard. When he catches her he tries to mount her but falls off. It's hilarious! Is he going to stress her out? I have a video of him running but can't upload it. I could watch him run all day. Lol

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  2. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    Does he have any hens his own size to rule over? He will stress your barred rock if he keeps it up. That being said, it is funny to watch the little guys try to mate the big girls!

3. Skye727

Jun 20, 2014
    Sandy, oregon
    They are all big girls except for the chicks. I have some cochin bantams in the incubator right now. It will be a while but he will get a girlfriend of his own soon.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  4. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    I had a slikie roo when was about half the size of my hens (12), he would chase them, try to mount, fall off. It took him a few months to figure it out, and then fathered 8 chicks, 5 passed, 3 to snakes, 2 to sever splayed legs.

I have 2 of his sons, one is full sized, like his Mom (Buff Orp) and the other is closer to his Grandpa's size (silkie). The larger one fathered 6 chicks, 1 died in egg, 1 got away from Mom and my dogs found it. And 2 passed from snakes. Mom is a Banty, one chick is a roo, and is the size of Mom, the other chick looks like his Grandpa, (silkie), not sure what it is yet (will have to wait for a crow or an egg).

You never said how many hens you had? I know roos will have their favorite, and will leave other hens alone. You could get your hen a back cover. I found a pattern in one of the Chicken Magazines. I used a old pair of blue jeans, cut a piece of the leg off, attached wide elastic, that slips under each wing. I kept it on her during the day, for a few weeks till her feathers started growing back.

Good Luck!

5. Skye727

Jun 20, 2014
    Sandy, oregon
    I have 4 mature hens and two silkie mamas. Then I have 9 chicks, one that is almost mature. I have the sweetest Banty roo in the whole world named cooper. He likes to snuggle! Love him!!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by