1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Little visitor to my garden.....

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by chickenlickin8, Jul 10, 2011.

1. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    This morning, I was looking out my kitchen window and I saw this little thing buzzing around like a bee and low and behold, it was this tiny, beautiful hummingbird! I have never seen one around my yard before. I had heard that planting red flowers would attract them...guess that is correct! I quickly snapped a few pics before it left. So beautiful! Anyone else have humming birds where you are?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Wonderful!!!!

3. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    Just one variety here in SW Ontario. The Ruby Throated Hummingbird. I am always struck by how comfortable they are around humans. My feeders are suspended from the frame that holds up our awning on the deck and they never seem to be afraid of the person sitting directly below the feeder.
    Two years ago, someone brought in a nest containing 2 babies to the rehab centre. The man had done some tree trimming in his yard and had not realized there was a nest in one of the trees. He was instructed to take the nest (still attached to its branch) back to the area and strap it to the nearest branch in his yard. He did this and before long, the parents returned to the nest and continues looking after their babies.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    How cool is that? Good job snapping those photos!

5. StrayMagnet

StrayMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    awwww, I remember my first encounter with a humming bird!>. i was little sitting on my grandma's porch by her flowers when one came along.. I flipped out and fell out of my chair yellin BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE till grammy said nooo it's a humming bird. then again when i was 15 at my BFF's. Sittin on her porch under a hummin bird feeder.. she forgot to tell me to be warned of my bright red sweater!! when one came rite up to me.. YUP her family got a laugh out of me falling backwards in my chair from the startle of the buzzz before i figured it was a humming bird.

6. chickenlickin8

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:Thank you! I just kept snapping pics hoping I got a few good ones [​IMG]

7. chickenlickin8

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:Glad you were ok but that is kinda funny to picture [​IMG]

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Very nice. The hummers are downing two feeders full a day here. I am a slave to my animals, both domestic and the wild visitors.

9. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

They are so common where we live that I have forgotten to be properly amazed by them. [​IMG] Thank you for reminding me! You know, they also love a mixture of sugar and water that you can give them by hanging a hummingbird feeder near a window - they're made of plastic, have the recipe for the mixture included and are sold in hardware/drugstores or, I'm sure, online, as well.

10. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Aren't they beautiful? THanks for sharing! I've never seen one before

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by