Little visitor to my garden.....

For years we kept a couple of feeders near the kitchen window. Filled them with one part sugar to two parts water, heated enough to dissolve the sugar. The bit of red on the feeder was plenty to attract them. I'd sit and watch them fight over the feeder and dive bomb each other. Been dive bombed a few times myself. You think it's a huge bumblebee if you don't know better. Used to rig up a bottle cap with water in it near the hook to keep ants out, had the feeders on pulleys to make refilling simple. Picked out the males, females and youngsters. Wish we had more than the one species.

Went to Costa Rica once, to a store with a bunch of feeders on a front porch. Amazing variety of hummers, who were pretty nonchalant about humans watching them.

Quote:
Yes we get a ton of em and like Dawn, have to be careful we don't get divebombed. They make their nests in our large hibiscus bush, but it's been so dry that the hibiscus isn't blooming. I guess that's why they are emptying the feeders so rapidly this year.

i watched this morning as a young (guessing) female tried to get nectar from a wind chime my mom made for me. poor thing was poking at the painted flowers, and red glass beads. repeatedly!! she finally went back to the wisteria after circling my chime about 4 or 5 times.

I put up faux flowers in baskets on the veranda of the house I've bought up in the foothills, and have discovered there ARE hummingbirds up there. They keep trying to feed from the fake flowers! So I will be putting up some feeders at either end of the porch.

I love hummingbirds.

Those are pretty darned good shots, actually, for somebody just trying to get some pictures of the jeweled beauties!

Hummingbirds are beautiful things...
We get a lot of parrots in the garden.
Australia is home to many weird birds
tongue.png

That is gorgeous! You must've been quick to get these shots! I was at my parents' house the other day and one flew up by their deck. I reached for my camera and then POOF, she was gone!

Thanks everyone for the comments! I was watching again this morning to see if my little visitor would return but not today
sad.png
I hope to get the feeder up this weekend and maybe I will have regulars come by...hummingbirds are truly one of God's most beautiful and amazing creatures.

Share your pics if you have any!

Back
Top Bottom