Little white worms in bedding and white mucus from mouth

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Obiethechick123, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Obiethechick123

Obiethechick123 Just Hatched

May 30, 2016
    My rooster has these little white worms in his bedding and has all white mucus coming out of his mouth and his nose

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Welcome to BYC!

Can you post pictures of the worms and your rooster?

-Kathy

3. Obiethechick123

May 30, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    When you photograph something such is these worms, it's helpful to place a familiar object or a ruler next to the object so we have some idea of scale (size).

Is there an odor associated with these "worms"?

How old is your rooster?

What has he been eating? Does it include meat scraps?

Is this the first time you have noticed these worms?

Do you have other chickens?

Do they free range or are they kept confined to a run?

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

That looks like a maggot. Check every square inch of your rooster for wounds that maggots might be in.

-Kathy

6. Obiethechick123

May 30, 2016
    Yes he does stink and he is about 4 years old. Yes, he does have some ladies and we keep them in a run. We gave them some leftover thanksgiving scraps including turkey

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The odor pretty much clinches it. You have maggots. They're not a huge deal in themselves, but are associated with rotten meat or festering, infected wounds.

If they're coming out of the rooster's mouth, get a flashlight and have someone pry open his beak so you can look inside to see if you see a pussy would in his throat.

I'm betting, though, as long as your boy is behaving otherwise normally, he dragged something into the coop that was infested with maggots, and he has been eating them. Maggots are good food. Yum.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Looking inside the beak is a good idea, but the rest of him should be checked, too.

-Kathy

9. Obiethechick123

May 30, 2016
    He seems have mucous coming out of his beak? Maybe maggots that he has eaten? It is a whitish beige colour. He is not eating much, but we have been sure to give him water. He is my daughters rooster & is a lovely bird, very quiet for a rooster. I'm feeling terrible about him as I'm really not sure what to do???
    We had a bad case of mites/fleas a few weeks ago & he had quite a few under all of his downy skirt feathers. I'm wondering if they had gotten at the skin more than we realized because when we checked him over today he had a large spot of bad skin under his vent. We washed it with warm water, cut off as many feathers as we could and put peroxide, but what do I do about the ones he may have inside?:sick

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you post a picture of the spot?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by