Little wifey homesteader

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kcw0525, Sep 26, 2015.

1. kcw0525

kcw0525 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2015
    Hi there! I'm Katrina. My husband and I recently bought our home that sits on a little over 2 acres. We had always talked about getting chickens when we had the land to, so when we moved here (Oklahoma) we decided it was time. We have 21 chickens (currently 9 weeks old). We have an Easter Egger named Lucy, 3 Blue Andalusians, 3 Buckeyes, 4 Speckled Sussexes, 5 Partridge Cochins, and 5 Light Brahmas. I wasn't completely sold on the idea of chickens but my husband guaranteed that I would come to love the idea. Well, he was right. When we received our babies in the mail, I fell in love immediately. We are loving every minute of being with them so far and I can't wait for them to start laying.
  2. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Fabulous! Yes, chickens are so wonderful. You will love the eggs they produce--they're 1000000000000000000000000000000 times better than the store bought ones. And I have a hen named Lucy too :)
  3. binkythebunny

binkythebunny New Egg

Sep 25, 2015
    Welcome chickens are just amazing there little funny ways u just fall in love with them. And I just love to watch them run around [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Welcome! You are in for the roller coaster ride of your life, and you are going to enjoy, well, most of it. There are times, however, when we all think - "Grrrrr! This is a never ending job." Then you find that first egg, or one flies up to sit on your lap or...... and you're smitten all over again.
  5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Welcome to BYC, Katrina. Glad you decided to join our flock. You have a nice mix of breeds. The first breed I ever had were Light Brahmas (50 years ago), and they were gentle giants. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at There is loads of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. Cheers.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)
  7. kcw0525

kcw0525 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2015
    Thank you for the warm welcome! We haven't had many issues with the babies so far, except they grew out of their brooder waaaay too quickly and we had to move them to their coop earlier than expected. But that worked out really well. Lately, we've been letting them out about an hour or so before sunset so they can roam around and eat bugs! But they still go through their food so quickly. We've built an automatic(ish) feeder, as well as an automatic waterer outside of the coop. We have someone renting our apartment on our property (Jessie) and she has 4 RIR's, a Black Sexlink hen, and two turkeys (Tom and Georgia).

We are having issues with Tom currently. He woke up one morning sick, and we can't figure out what it is he has. She started giving him medication in his water, and we isolated him, and I think she may be giving him dewormer as well. It's been three days so far. He was super tired and hardly moved the first two days. Today he was a little better, but still definitely not himself.

We also are having an issue with one of our Speckled Sussex roos. He seemed to have an impacted stomach, or something, because his crop got really big, like the size of a softball. It wasn't completely hard, it did have a little squish. So we isolated him and gave him olive oil soaked bread crumbs and water for a day, and then water for 2 more days. The crop went down, and he was pooping everywhere, so we knew it wasn't an impacted stomach. But all the research I've done has been about full grown hens that may be eggbound having this issue. Never a rooster or a chick. So we put him back in the coop and he immediately started eating. In less than 2 hours, he was back to the same size as before. We've been watching him now for a week now and he still seems healthy, he just has a huge crop. Today, we let them out and we induced the vomiting for him, and fed him water. But we are worried about him.

So... people who have more experience than me or my husband, what do you think?
  8. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

9. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi! Welcome! [​IMG] If he's eating and drinking and you're not overfeeding scratch, they have gravel, I wouldn't worry too much.
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Katrina, nice to meet you. Hope you enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by