Live and Learn (and feel silly)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by RedBrush Farm, Jul 12, 2011.

1. RedBrush Farm

RedBrush Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Missouri
    I posted a couple weeks ago because I was not getting eggs from my Texas A&M's. I started with 45 sold 15 which left me 30 but have been only getting a couple of eggs a day, and not every day. Had sold others to a friend who has been getting 7-8 daily for some time now. Finally got around to sexing them this morning - I have 16 males! What are the odds? Felt pretty silly watching for eggs every day from a bunch of males. I placed 3 of the best looking boys in 3 separate pens with 4 - 5 girls each. Each pen is off the ground, wire bottom and approx. 3'x 3.5'. Is the pen size o.k. or do they need more room? Is this enough girls or too many? I know they are now stressed and will not lay for days but as least I know which ones to expect eggs out of!!

B.K.

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    am's are big, that might not be enough room, usually its 1sq foot per bird, but A&Ms probably need more, i'd cut it down to 1m/3f per pen, but that might still be to many, 4 definitly is

3. RedBrush Farm

Jun 12, 2011
    Missouri
    Thanks for the reply. I have enough pens and definitely enough males to make a couple more pairs. Do you think 3 females to 1 male would be o.k. in that space?

4. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i run 4f/1m in a 6x2x2 pen, PLENTY of room for them, if you got 3x3 3f/1m would be fine, you might be able to get 4 females in there, but it might start getting tight since A*MS are bigger

i just have regular coturnix

yea..i'd go 3f/1m, GL!

5. RedBrush Farm

Jun 12, 2011
    Missouri
    I was thinking that may be the case. They are big compared to the bobwhite breeds. When I checked them this morning I was surprised at how much meat seemed to be there. I had thought they were mostly feathers.

Thanks for the response.

6. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    yea A&M's are beasts, even compared to georgia giants imho, if i was to raise birds for meat....A&M's is where its at

7. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    How big are they exactly?Im pretty sure a&ms are not suppose to be 16 or over 16 ounces like a georgia bobwhite. They are still coturnix but just not the same color.

8. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Oh and about 9 ft. seems fine for 6 birds,also has extra room to spare.

9. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    Quote:they are a variation of the english white coturnix that have been genetically made to be "jumbo" they weigh in at 16-20oz i do believe, usually on the smaller end of that, but each various

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The pen size is fine. 1 sq. ft. per bird would be a 2' x 3' cage for 6 birds, your cage is 10.5 sq. ft.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by