Live and let live, unless they KEEP coming back!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by DazeGoneBy, Sep 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DazeGoneBy

DazeGoneBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    We'd been seeing prints ALL OVER our coop. We deliberately put down DE (powder) around the coop, so if anything tried to go after them we would have some evidence of WHAT.

During the morning rounds to visit the chickens, we saw the trap had sprung. Note the tracks all over the fence.
    [​IMG]

Here is our nightly visitor:
    [​IMG]

The trap was in that spot since day one. When we saw tracks, we finally set the trap. Since it had always been there, it was familiar to whatever was coming around. I got advice to put in smelly fish or cat food, but my thought was that I didn't want to bring something in from AFAR. But, if whatever it was insisted on coming back night after night and trying to get in, well, that is not so cool. So, I settled on peanut butter with a marshmallow in a shallow cup. After 5 days, we caught this guy.

We just couldn't kill the thing, so hubby took it miles away and let it go beside a river so it now has been re-homed. My worry is I saw big and little tracks. I hope I didn't just separate a mom and youngster. We will reset the trap.

Does this look like an adult, juvenile, or baby? I have no experience to draw from. That is my 9-yr-old in the background, for size comparison.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  2. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    even 10 miles away is inside his own territory. Basically, you took him from the front yard and put him in the back yard. He will be back before you know it.

Also, it is not only illegal but cruel to move an animal from his home territory. If the new area has appropriate food/shelter for a possum, then there are already possums living there. They will fight to protect their homes, leaving him to wander until he finds a new place. Starvation, fighting, and cars are just some of the dangers. Then, there is the good chance that you just relocated him in another chicken owner's backyard.

3. urbanfarmer101

urbanfarmer101 Chillin' With My Peeps

It is not fully grown. They can get pretty good sized. I have seen some bigger than my miniature schnauzer. You might have to think of a long term plan in dealing with them. They will come back, and they like chicken. [​IMG]

4. DazeGoneBy

Jul 25, 2011
    I know all that from reading this forum.

I still couldn't bring myself to kill it.

Even if I spend the next 6 months driving the same possum back and forth, that's what I'll do.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

That is an adult. They leave their mom's when they are smaller.

Imp

6. Runt Of The Litter

Runt Of The Litter Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    cheshire,UK
  7. DazeGoneBy

Jul 25, 2011
    Quote:That is what I was thinking. Its head looks big for its body. I guess it is pretty skinny.

I'm not sure how many miles away my hubby drove it. I did tell him to go further than 10 miles.

I'm sure this is the first of many visitors we'll have. The drought here has made everything come closer to town than normal in search of water/food. That is why our coop is built like Fort Knox. But, even though I feel good that nothing short of a cougar is getting in (and since the coop is outside our bedroom, we'd hear it), I still don't like the idea of not doing anything knowing predators are inspecting and walking all over the coop every single night..

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  8. DazeGoneBy

Jul 25, 2011
    Quote:Thanks for the visual! That first one reminds me of how I felt when my son was 6 and would ask me to carry him when walking longish distances. My poor back!

9. pinkyglory123

pinkyglory123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    Don't feel guilty about relocating them. I have relocated lots of coons and they have not come back. How do I know? because I spray paint a huge white X on them before I release them. Some people feel fine about offing them, I am more for relocating them. We did shoot a fox which was acting aggressive and would not back off-thinking rabies-but otherwise will relocate healthy vamints.

10. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Well I am worse than ya'll. I don't even trap them! I don't want to deal with a trapped animal. I used hardware cloth and fences and am doing my best to try to keep them moving along...
    sharon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by