Live Cam for Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jan336, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Jan336

Jan336 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am a nut. I am thinking of putting a live cam in the coop to monitor and watch my babies. LOL - Anyone attempted this? Any advice? [​IMG]

2. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    [​IMG] I actually was considering those nanny webcames that we use on our 2yr old. He sleeps in his own room and we put the cam there and watch it from our bedroom at night. The winter days are short, mind as well watch them sleeping or whatever they do there at night :)
    I say why not ? [​IMG]

3. WhySayWhat

WhySayWhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Spokane
    I have yet to build my coop, or rather, remanufacture my current shed into a coop. But, I plan on get a weatherproof Color Security Camera with Night Vision for insde the coop! They have them at Harbor Frieght for around $30 (I think it was the sale price, online it say #35 I think), and they come with the wiring to plug them in and hook them up to a TV! We have a spare 32 inch TV that is going to remain sitting in my dining room/kitchen for the "Chicken Channel". I haven't done it yet, but that's the plan...I'm mounting it inside the shed, but it is designed to take the cold (NOT water, it needs a shield if it might get wet).

4. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    Quote:That is a great deal, wow ! I love that "chicken channel" lolll . Well, if you're planning to put it in the shed or the chicken coop later, then it shouldn't get wet. Put it higher, you know how the hospitals have it. Usually right at the corner and in a high area but in this case you'll be putting a small cam. Would that work ?

5. TransitionArizona

TransitionArizona Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    Prescott
    I just posted more details in another thread about this. But, yes, chicken cam is a great idea and not that difficult, especially if you have power to the coop. I used a Night Owl system from Tiger Direct. I have one camera in the coop and another on the run. It is great. I can see what they are up to from a dedicated monitor in my dining room, or on a computer in my office, or... from my laptop from anywhere over the Internet. Love using technology for good uses like this. I have videos of it on youtube if you want to check it out.

6. WhySayWhat

WhySayWhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Spokane
    Yup, that's my plan. [​IMG] Inside, with the chickens and out of the general weather, I'm still undecided about a missing small window in the door, I may replace it or I'll cover it in Hardware Cloth so nothing gets in (I have a squrriel calling it home at the moment, lol). We like the deals at Harbor Frieght, we get ads for them every Sunday (usually 2-3 of them throughout the paper) and always go to get our free LED flashlights! We have one in every car, in the bedroom, offices, kitchen, and even gave some away as Christmas presents this year, lol. I even found out they'll work great to candle eggs, I practiced on the store-bought eggs we are eating. I was amazed at all the "stuff" I could see in the eggs, a couple even had well defined air sacs, but they were all VERY pourous. I was disappointed in that. As a general rule, HF doesn't have the highest quality of stuff, but at that price, I can replace it once or twice a year without spending insane amounts of cash! It also says it has a microphone (so I can hear what is going on, & hopefully respond quickly if an uninvited guest gets in with my soon to be pets)!

7. Jan336

I think everyone has some great concepts. I ideally like the idea to just because I am curious how my babies act when I am not around. Interesting to learn how they really act. LOL, also like mentioned above to catch a sneeky predator trespassing, or neighbors that want to sabotage my flock. HAAHA! Catch em on cam! ")

8. Jan336

It would really be cool to view everyones chickens live on here via webcam too! [​IMG]

9. TomG

TomG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Lake Oswego
    I purchased a Mole camera (www.molecamera.com/) at Costco, when they had them. I can pull it up online, anywhere. Even from my iphone. It can be redirectioned remotely. Night vision, motion activated to record on SD card, direct posting to Youtube if desired, sound, and no wires other than power. It connects to your homes wireless network.
    I know, I'm a nerd. But I love tech and I love my birds and have very few other expenses.[​IMG]

10. Jan336

Here is something I might consider:

The Phoenix1C is an additional camera that allows you to add on to the PHOENIX1 system for more extensive monitoring. This camera has a built-in microphone, allowing it to transmit both audio and video to the PHOENIX1's monitor. This camera is equipped with automatically activating night vision, allowing you the convenience to monitor your home or property day or night. The camera is also built in aluminum housing so you can monitor the things you really care about, inside and out.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCoQ8wIwAA#

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by