Live chick in trouble - graphic pics - help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cherlyn, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    18 hrs had passed after the first pip, and his cheeping had decreased and he rarely moved. I removed the outer shell, and it looks like he has not even absorbed the yolk, but this is my first time, so I could be wrong! Can someone tell me what I am looking at??? What do I do now? He is still cheeping and moving - more so than before.

[​IMG]

~Cherlyn

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  2. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    I'd say wrap him up in the paper towel and put him back in the incubator. Give him a couple of hours and then check back.

[​IMG]

3. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    I would remove all the "stuff" starting with the head and leave the yoke and everything haning from his bottom. If you remove the stuff on his bum he may die. The hope for the best! Anyone else?
    If the other person knows..do what they say! I have never had one with the whole shell removed.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  4. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    wow I have never seen a pic like that before. I am not sure what to do maybe wrap lightly in a damp paper towel and put back in the brooder and see if it absorbs the yolk?? I have hd chicks take longer than 18 hours from pip to hatch.

5. Cherlyn

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Ok. I put him right back in and just keep checking in on him. Temp 100.5, humidity between 65 and 75.

~Cherlyn

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I've never seen the shell removed like that [​IMG] Usually intervention results in death [​IMG] You will get mixed replies... some BYCers believe in helping and others believe in letting nature take it's course.

I hate to say this, but I would be very surprised if it can survive at this point [​IMG] Maybe if you cover it up with a clean damp cloth to keep the membrane soft... if it dries out, it's a goner [​IMG] That's one of the biggest problems with opening the shell before they are ready to hatch... it dries out very quickly...

I am amazed at how in the world you were able to remove the shell like that!

Keeping my fingers crossed for the little chick !!!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  7. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    Wow I havent ever seen a chick that didn't hatch out by its self.

8. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    It does take talent to remove the whole shell without ripping the sac!!

9. Cherlyn

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Yeah, I was so reluctant to interfere - I do not think he would have made it on his own, but I also think that there is a good chance he will not make it this way either. [​IMG]

So, is that the yolk I am seeing, then? Any chance he can still absorb it? I am misting him every few minutes to keep the membrane moist.

So what happens if he gets out without absorbing the yolk? Does that ever happen?

He is just laying there, chirping away... [​IMG]

~Cherlyn

10. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    I would definitely NOT remove the membrane with all the veins. I would wrap him in a damp paper towel to keep the membrane from drying out and put him back in the incubator and hope for the best. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by