Live free or breed pure

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tadandrita, Aug 1, 2011.

1. tadandrita

tadandrita Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    From day one I've let them free range from 0600-bed time. I just can't cage an animal. I also like multiple breeds. it has never concerned me til now. I love my birds and have always been content with collecting eggs to eat. However I have been bitten by the “breeding bug" . So I guess I have to choose one breed or segregate and only let one group out at a time. any suggestions?¿?¿!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Why do you feel you have to have one breed? Don't get me wrong. There are certainly very good reasons for that, but depending on your goals, that may not be necessary. You don't give a whole lot to discuss on what could be an interesting topic. If you could give your reasons, maybe we could have a discussion.

By the way, this 11 week old has Speckled Sussex, Delaware, and Black Australorp in his ancestry. I just wish he would pose for a good photo.

[​IMG]

3. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Well first off what are your plans with what you hatch? Keep and use them as Layer? Sell Chicks? I'm currently incubating Mutts. I do a hatch split as My hens don't lay enough eggs to feed us let alone keep em to incubate.

My eggs could be any of the following BO Bo/Dom Bo/RIR Bo/Something that lays white eggs. With them been Mutts theyare all decent layer breeds so should still very good layers when they mature.

I was bent on the not mixing breeds but If I don't get what ever is eating chickens caught I'm going to be replacing my replacements before they even start laying.

4. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I agree that it depends on your goals for your flock.

I allow my mixed flock to mate freely. I plan to use any chicks to replace older hen and the roo will be food. At this point my curiosity and the finances of biulding breeding pens out wieghs the known values of an established breed or loyalty to preserving or improving a line. If I discover a breed that is just perfect for my needs/set up I may at some time down the road be selective in my breeding. In the meantime each chick is a compleat surprize and anything that turns out too bad can be culled.

5. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    One thing you could do is to breed Sexlinks?

That way you could have, say, a Buff Orpington rooster with Buff Orpington, Barred Rock/Dominique, Silver Laced Wyandotte/Delaware hens. You'd have a colorful flock, and the chicks would hatch into purebred Buffs, Black Sexlinks, and Red Sexlinks, and you'd be able to tell all of the breeds/crosses apart at maturity.

There's also nothing wrong with crossbreeding at random. I love to do it! The chicks are varied in color, and are hardier, healthier, grow bigger and mature faster than the purebreds. [​IMG]

6. tadandrita

tadandrita Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    well I go to local swaps and alotta ppl say how beautiful my birds are...which have been mutts due to free-mating. But alotta ppl want purebreeds here even though they are for backyard flocks not show.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by