Live in Corpus Christi - need suggestions on a coop design

SouthTexasChick

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 28, 2011
So in all the researching I've done, there's tons of info out there regarding coop and keeping chickens warm in extreme cold, but I haven't found much about coop design and keeping chickens cool in extreme heat. Corpus doesn't get quite as hot or dry as, say, Kingsville because it's on the coast, but it's still very hot (in the upper 90's or low 100's) and humid for the majority of the year. Our winter really doesn't begin until December and will last until maybe February. We have a few nights where it freezes, and because we are near the coast, it's a pretty wet cold. I do have a shady area in the backyard where the coop and run could go, but I'm not sure that the enclosed designs will work here due to the heat. The other thing I'm worried about are all the rats, possums, the occasional snake, and raccoons we have in the city, so any design needs to be plenty ventilated but still offer protection from the pests. So if anyone can offer pics of their own coop that works, or ideas I would really appreciate it. I have searched the BYC forums and have seen a couple more open designs, but I would still like some more ideas.

Hey SouthTexasChick!

I live in Bay County, Florida, just a few miles from the coastline, so our climate (heat, short winters, humidity, etc) is very similar to yours. I just finished the coop portion of our coop/run setup. The coop and run I designed ought to fit your needs precisely. Sorry, but I can't get pics on here until this weekend since it is dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home. If you'll PM me, I'll send you the pics this weekend. Our baby chicks arrive Thursday, so Mrs. Hodawg and I are bouncing around like Daffy Duck on speed!

Beers y'all,
Ken

I'm about an hour away from Hodawg here in North Florida. Here is mine.
61761_one.jpg

another view
61761_two.jpg

and my mom's
61761_img_9441c.jpg

Mine is covered on all four sides with hardware cloth and is covered on top as well. My mom's is 2x4 wire on all sides with hardware cloth on the lower two feet. Her's is also covered on the top. One wall facing North is solid and during the winter I cover all sides except the south with plastic. We have a nest roost area inside.
sharon

Hey ! I also live in corpus christi and i am working on my coop to. I am thinking of doing the ENTIRE front in hardware cloth and have only three sides wood. And when the cold winds come i can drap clear plastic on the front . At least thats my idea. My chickens seem to do fine as long as they have shade and water i had zero problems over the summer since mine had a big rubber plant to hide under and a big water dish and they are curently living in a large rabbit hutch.

I'm in Houston but I grew up in Corpus Christi. Make the entire south wall open at least with hardware cloth or 1" welded wire covering it. Mine is that way but I also have large windows in the east and west. The west one is covered in the winter to block the cold wind as the predominant cold comes from the north and west, and the cooling breezes of the summer come from the south and east, off the Gulf. And plenty, plenty, of shade!

The wind blows hard in CC & blows harder in SPI . Galanie is right!!! Here's my three sided coop & this photo was taken in the summer you can see the flag blowing the prevailing winds from the SE so I have the coop positioned for the wind to blow into the coop. Another good idea was adding the deck above the run it also helps keep the birds cool. I house Bob Whites in this Aviary.
63768_texas_flag_006.jpg

We're a little bit hotter here in southern AZ, but less humidity. I agree with the others about shade to keep them cool; I don't think you can have too much of that. My yard doesn't have a lot of shade so I had to provide it, using layers of shade cloth on the coop and grape vines that grow up through and over the run for a good portion of the year. About half of my coop is open on three sides and the remainder is closed on three sides. The roost runs from one end to the other so that the chickens can get out of the wind or into it as needed. Our winters are similar to yours, with just a few nights of freezing. During the worst part (from Dec. to early Feb.) I put plastic up on the wall around the roosts to further limit the wind. Even though I live in the middle of a large city, we have most of the predators that you would find just about anywhere else. A covered run and an apron around the bottom are good to have. I have more pics and explanations on what I did to predator-proof near the bottom of my byc page.

56638_coopisdone.jpg
56638_grapecoveredrun.jpg

Quote:
I've always liked your Backyard Coop. It looks like your birds even though I know its hot there have a nice place to try & escape the heat. Its hard raising birds where its really hot. I toted more ice water than you could imagine this summer. I even bought an ice machine.

Back
Top Bottom