Live in Suburbia/City area??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bananarose24, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Bananarose24

Bananarose24 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    We live in a Suburb just outside of a City.. literally 1 mile out of the city.
    Technically we are Not allowed to have any Poultry animals of any kind.

But, alas, we have 2 Ducks, and are getting more this Sunday.
    So, I was just wondering, does anyone else live in a Suburb or in a City with a small piece of land, and still manage to keep Ducks?? Whether you're supposed to or not?

Also, has anyone ever had an issue with a neighbor reporting your ducks and then having the city or whoever try to take them away or make you get rid of them?
    This is one thing I worry about often and was just wondering whether anyone has been there....

So far, all of the neighbors who know are Great about it. They think it is neat, a bit strange, but still neat. And they actually have been keeping an eye out for us for any predators (one neighbor spotted a fox tonight and called us).

But, we do have one horrible neighbor.. actually lives next door. She has not seen them, and should not know anything about them yet.. we have a tall fence with trees so she cannot see them, and we have Muscovys--they rarely Quack (which is why we got them). She is really the only person I'm worried about reporting us to someone..

2. Urbanfarmerkc

Urbanfarmerkc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    Depends on where you live and what exactly the ordinances say. Look specifically for what it says about "fowl". Livestock and fowl are different things. Most will let you have poultry if they are so many feet away from the neighbors. There tends to be something about noise or smell also. I live in one of the most restrictive areas on the Missouri side of Kansas City. Their laws are old in regards to fowl and as a result I get to have chickens and ducks.

I'll warn you too, just because the ordinance offices says you can't keep poultry, doesn't necessarily mean you can't. Often they don't know the difference in a duck and a cow. YOU will need to look up the ordinance and see for yourself. Then prepare to go to court to defend yourself. At one point, I even had to hire an attorney. Ultimately, I won but not without a bit of a fight.

Hope this helps.

Dave

3. Bananarose24

Bananarose24 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    I just looked up our zoning requirement and there is No limit on how many fowl can be had in our county, however, must have a minimum of 1 acre of property.
    Which we Do NOT have. We have .14 acres. Our enclosure for the Ducks is 12ft x 6ft.. plenty of room for them..

It also states "No numerical limit, provided that a nuisance is not created or allowed to exist on the property"
    Our ducks rarely Quack (muscovies) and they do not smell.. so.. I think we will be alright..

Now if someone reported us.. what happens? Do we just apply for a variance? Is that what you went through Dave?

Becky

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

There is one thing you should consider. You have one girl and one boy it is quiet. You have 2 girls and that talking starts. Add more girls and they will get noisy at times. Mine can get rather noisy when they get exited or irritated by something. Otherwise most of the time you don't even know they are there. They are never noisy at night or early in the morning like a rooster would be. They do chat a lot when we let them out in the morning, but not really offensively loud. We don't have neighbors, but I have lived in suburbs and know how picky people can be. I think most would consider chicken livestock, and ducks more as decorative pets. They don't get stinky either. I clean my duck house daily and it does not smell. I use pine shavings as bedding and on the floor. I remove them with with poo and place it under by shrubs. No stench there either. The inground sprinklers wash it straight into the soil and leave the pine chips as mulch behind.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  5. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    There is a section on BYC that talks about local ordinances and people often ask advice on what to do when code enforcement comes knocking. Most of the time, unless you live in an HOA or have neighbors complain, nothing will happen. Generally, having only a couple quiet fowl would not generate any complaints, especially if they're rarely seen. If you are getting more, it might be more risky. If something happens, like in the case where neighborhood children killed a duckling, you might have problems if you press charges.
    So, you might want to have a backup plan in case something does happen such as having a temporary place to keep them.

I live in the city and we are allowed to have fowl here, but you have to keep them 50 feet away from any residence. There are homes even in my own neighborhood that can fit that requirement (because many people live on the edge of the canyons around here), but most homes do not. The next town over requires 1/4 acre lot, again, very large for soCal.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  6. Urbanfarmerkc

Urbanfarmerkc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    I agree that you can go on the other topic area and get better advice. But to answer your question, no i didn't need a variance because I lived in the required feet limit. I just had to show a codes enforcer the rules then convince him to leave me alone even if he was mad that he was wrong.

My muscovies don't quack at all and really just hiss. NEVER loud enough for a neighbor to hear. The problem isn't noise with them but if you have babies, they fly! It would just be a matter of time before the fly and land on your neighbor's roof. In my opinion, ducks tend to go to the person who will cause you the most problem so if you have a busy body neighbor, it'll be her house they land on... LOL

You might just have to go by the rule, if no one knows I have ducks they can't hurt me. Then just take it as oops, I didn't know if they do find out. Risky but alas what can you do???

Dave

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I live in surburbia and am allowed 10 "poultry" But no roosters. It does not include young under the age of 12 weeks....Lucky for me because I have 14 adults and 11 babies outside at the moment and another 13 babies inside with more hatching at the moment. Noise is a big factor and I am constantly checking with the neighbours to ensure they are not bothered. As long as no one complains I will continue to have my flock here as I have done for over 8 years. We have some big loud dogs in the area- so the ducks dont bother anyone. I do lock mine up at night to help reduce noise.

I had a council guy come out years ago when there was a complaint about a rooster in the area- but as soon as he saw I only had ducks- he went off happy. Its really hard to know what to do about trying to get them "legal: as If you ring and say you have ducks already you may be required to remove them...But if you do get caught with them- they may have to go anyway. Hope you get somethign sorted and can keep your ducks without fear of having to rehome them.

8. CRH1223

CRH1223 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    PA
    I live right outside of Philadelphia and I do have a small backyard and live in a quiet neighborhood. They were selling ducks at a pet store around the block and I bought 2 pekin ducks and I never had a problem with the law or my neighbors. They actually like the ducks. My neighbor is a cop and he brings his children over to see my ducks all the time!

9. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I live in a suburb where all poultry, fowl, wildlife, exotics, etc are illegal.
    I have a small yard.
    I have eight muscovies and two runners.

The police were in the yard behind mine- doing a drug-bust and confiscating AK-47s. They saw my ducks and never sent the proper authorities to my house.
    Second occasion- the police were in my next door neighbors yard filing a report that someone had shot at them. They looked through my fence and saw the ducks again. Once again, they never sent proper authorities to my house.

I guess they figured there are more dangerous things in my neighborhood than ducks. [​IMG]

10. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Do you live in the ghetto or something?? Drug busts being shot at, i bet the ducks are happy, lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by