Live Proteins To Raise For Chickens?

Wild Child

Chirping
May 17, 2015
Dakota County Mn
I'm looking to convert my flock to a better diet. I've been thinking about raising insects as a live protein source but my family isn't to keen with the idea other then crickets, earthworms, and possibly meal worms.
Here's some things I've come up with:
1. Aquatic Snails
2. Crickets
3. Earthworms
4. Guppies
5. Meal Worms

and I know this isn't a live protein source but has anyone tried feeding duckweed to chickens?

My girls LOVE mealworms so much and from what I've heard everyone else's chickens love them too. I read somewhere though that 1 teaspoon a day per chicken is more than enough as too much can cause kidney failure (same goes for sun flower seeds). Mealworms are about 50% protein so in moderation that would be great for your flock.

Personally, my girls don't really like earthworms, but they are full of protein. I read that they also have significant amounts of calcium and some iron, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium , and copper.

I've never heard of people feeding aquatic snails or guppies to their chickens, but I do know that they absolutely love crickets. Crickets are about 20% protein and 14% calcium.

I just looked it up and one site says duckweed is around 40% protein and they feed it to their chickens.

Back
Top Bottom