live trap - opossum

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cindy99, Sep 9, 2010.

1. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    We went out to tuck (lock) the chickens in 2 nights ago and on our way out my son saw a mink run out from under the coop. The next day I drove straight to Tractor Supply and bought a set of live traps - large one & small one = $25.00 on sale. We put seeds and corn in the small one and a big hunk of bone with meat on it (we get them for our dog) in the large one. Nothing in the large one this morning but in the small one there is a opossum! I have no trouble having my husband "take care of it". If we relocate it though instead - will it come back? Is the general opinion that they are dangerous to chickens? Even if they are locked up at night?

Thanks!

Cindy

Edited to say that we live out in the country on a dirt road. If he/she were relocated it would be into the middle of nowhere!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  2. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    dont relocate . dispose of it
    This may seem harsh to some
    But thats the way we deal with them.
    We have added plaster of paris with
    some P>B> make a small ball it will be eaten
    and harden when critter drinks water.
    or shootem.
    opossum is a danger to humans ,
    and dogs ,cats
    not only chickens.

3. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    I vote relocate, if you are able. As for using plaster of paris, that is a slow and cruel death! If you must dispose of the animal, best to do it quickly and humanely. No need to torture an animal for being hungry.

4. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Yes, they are a danger to your chickens. They are not nearly as bad as raccoons and some other predators are, but will surely kill your birds, eat eggs if given the chance.
    I agree, don't relocate. Not only is it illegal in many states to relocate them, your only giving your poultry problem to someone else who may have poultry.Dispose of it quickly and humanely...

5. puredelite

puredelite Chillin' With My Peeps

You could relocate it some miles from your place, but who knows, you might be dumping it right close to someone elses chicken coop! 'possums are in no short supply in most areas. I usually have to trap and dispose of at least a half dozen once the weather turns colder and they want to move into my sheds here on the farm. They will kill all of your chickens given the opportunity. Easy disposable way is to put trap in an air-tight feed bag and clinch the opening on your exhaust pipe of vehicle and run the engine for a few minutes. They go to sleep permanently quickly!

6. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Dispose of it. By all means, do it humanely though. A bullet is quick and efficient. In many jurisdictions it is illegal to relocate wildlife. That's mostly about controlling the spread of disease and illnesses like rabies. Besides you're not a opossum. You're not able to decide what constitutes a good range for that animal. For all you know, you may relocate to a range where it will have to defend itself too often, where there may not be enough food, or where disease is rampant. You very well may sentence it to a slow and painful death. Besides that, you might just make it a problem for someone else. That someone may not have your soft heart and dispose of it inhumanely. IMO...If you decide to remove an animal from the range it's chosen for itself, a swift and merciful death is the only way to ensure the humaneness of its removal.

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Just shoot it between the eyes & then relocate it away from chicken coop so no other predator comes for the carcass.

8. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    Thanks for the replies. Leaning towards letting my husband shoot it when he gets home from work. I had Joe (older son) go out and put a blanket over it so it can sleep.

9. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    I had a mob of them kill most of my chickens last spring...I hate the ratty looking things...I trapped and killed 11 in one month and I quit loosing birds...now I am hot wired for the bird's night pen and have not lost any more ducks....I had a fox stealing eggs and he killed two drakes one night...the next night, 4 a.m., I was waiting for him with my .12 gauge and loaded his butt up with buckshot when he stuck his head into the goose nest to steal more eggs...hit him twice and have not seen him since...I did see buzzards down hill two days later so I have a feeling I killed that one...it is a constant battle with a whole host of predators to keep a few birds...'coons, 'possums, bobcats, snakes, owls, hawks, fox, ferral dogs, sheesh! They are on everyone's menu but mine...I don't relocate to set another person up for predation...that is just wrong and I think in most places illegal...

10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:In most state it is illegal to relocated them, for sure here in Ohio. either release it ,on you place or kill it.

Year ago rabies got spread across the state, because people relocated racoons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by