live trapping fox?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by wahoowifeandmom, Jul 2, 2011.

1. wahoowifeandmom

wahoowifeandmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2011
    Nebraska
    We seem to have an abundance of fox in the area. We have tried to trap them, but have managed to catch one of our cats, a woodchuck, a possum, and a coon. Do you have any advice?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Snares are far more effective at catching red fox than box traps are.

3. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    It can be done as far as catching them in the hav a heart traps, but it requires lots and I do mean lots of patience and trying different baits and disguising the trap if you can... Good Luck, there is a reason why ppl. say "As sly as a fox"

4. wahoowifeandmom

wahoowifeandmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2011
    Nebraska
    Cool! I get to learn a new skill! Thanks![​IMG]

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    fox are stupid I only caught 50 + last season google "drift fencing cage trap red fox" the top 2 links will show how to set it up. I use a number 1 size coil spring trap for grey fox and a number 1 1/2 coil spring or double long spring and I normally have the animal the next morning this time of the year they respond well to a combination of a food lure and a gland lure kina sets them up for thinking another animal is stealing their food

6. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    What do you do with the foxes once you catch them? (Or is that a dumb question)

8. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    You catch a fox and put him in a box, and then you let him go... [​IMG]

9. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Quote:haha! Yeah, I'm thinking people probably then shoot them, but I'm not sure.

We're wondering what to do with our fox issue here. Thinking a coil spring trap. But the fox, you know, might be a mother with babies, and then those babies are without a mother, the issue gets complicated... I'm sure if he picks off any more of my chickens, it will get uncomplicated real fast.

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    D'Angelo N Va. :

It can be done as far as catching them in the hav a heart traps, but it requires lots and I do mean lots of patience and trying different baits and disguising the trap if you can... Good Luck, there is a reason why ppl. say "As sly as a fox"

Amen on "lots of patience." I've been trapping since I was 10 years old (that adds up to 60 years on and off [​IMG]). In that time period I've caught many fox in snares and legholds at dirt-hole sets, but I've only ever caught 4 red fox in hav a hart traps. Gray fox-- that's another story. If you are trying a live trap get as large a trap as you can afford and go to a trapping site for advice. Good luck.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by