live weight to dead weight

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by wcah, Oct 30, 2013.

1. wcah

wcah Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2012
    Shropshire, England. UK
    Hi all my Hubbards (aparentley a freeranging meat bread) are now 12 weeks old and Iv been feeding them on a mix of growers and rolled oats since they were 7 weeks old, an they live freerange in my orchard. Yesterday i weighed a couple and they are 7 to 8kgs. Which i was very shocked at. What would they be when dressed?
    My dad used to rear turkeys for the table 15years ago an he sold them to friends and family. So i decided to get some wirrl black turkeys, they are now 16 weeks old and weigh between 9 an 11kgs what would that equate to dead weight?
    Sorry for all these questions but this is the last one for now anyway, im i right im beleving that you can still rear and dress your own poultry yourself and sell to friends and family?
    Many thanks for taking the time to read this an i look forward to your responces
    Heather

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Holy crap! THAT IS HUGE!

7Kg is 15 pounds. [​IMG]They are like miniature turkeys!

I'd do them right away. They will be between 10-11 pounds dressed if that is their live weight. I believe it is 75% of live weight is dead weight.

I do find mine are quite a bit less though. I've never weighed them live, as I only have a food scale - but they feel much heavier than their dressed weight.

As for your other question... It depends on your provincial laws. You are not in the same country as I am, so I am not sure if it is legal to sell meat that have been processed at home. Here they have to be done by a government inspected processing plant to be able to sell them to the public. Selling them to your friends and family is fine. Just be aware that if someone was to report you, there may be penalties involved. I sell to family only.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  3. wcah

wcah Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2012
    Shropshire, England. UK
    Right ill sort one out tomorrow an see how it turns out. Bigger than the supermarket ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by