lively hen has turned into.....something bad!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sultan obsessed, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Sultan obsessed

Sultan obsessed Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2012
    My poor australorp, Astrid who was the top chook has suddenly changed. She used to have bright eyes, rosy face and she was ever so cheeky, but now, her eyes have faded and so has her face, she can't eat and she can't stop drinking. My first idea was that she had something in her throat, but I can't feel anything. Any ideas anyone? (she can't breath very well either)
    [​IMG]

2. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    checks for worms or sour crop

3. Sultan obsessed

Oct 7, 2012
    thanks for the advice![​IMG] Just 3 problems. How do I check worms and what is sour crop, and then what do I do after I have identified the problem?

4. Familyochickens

Familyochickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2012
    Indiana
    does she have a runny nose?

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    check out the emergencies, disease- injury forum on BYC - and post your problem there someone is more likely to know what's wrong. All I know is with dogs and people, drinking alot of water ( and also peeing) is a sign of diabetes or kidney problem. I have no idea if chickens have similiar symptoms

6. Sultan obsessed

Oct 7, 2012
    No, she doesn't, but she has been molting terribly and she seems to want to cough something up.

7. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    if she's coughing, trouble breathing ,mucss, sneezing is could be a sign of respitory illness. id start tylan 50 as soon as possiable. dose is 1/2cc once daily for 5 days on large birds, small birds are 1/4 cc once daily for 5 days. can be injected in the breast or nape of neck bottle will say for cattle or swine, not to worry, many poultry owners use this including myself, with great success
    . please start asap. hope she gets well soon! you should start to see improvement in a few days

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  8. Sultan obsessed

Oct 7, 2012
    It's allright guys, sadly she died over night. But thanks for the advice anyway

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by