Liver Fluke

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nes, Jun 23, 2011.

1. nes

nes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    Can ducks get the same liver fluke that occurs in sheep?

(I'm trying to sort out what I'm going to do with our pastures and I'd like to put our orphan lamb out with my horse. I'm worried about liver fluke transition between those two though, however, if I can also put my muskovy (when they are larger) out there to gobble up the snails, we really shouldn't have any issue.)

eta: I am worried about snails because we have Potomac in this area too & I have a stream in my paddock. Would another species of duck be better for specific snail control?
    (as it is, I'm pretty excited about my muskovy keeping the chicken coop mouse free [​IMG])

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. DuckLover9138

DuckLover9138 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    I didn't answer your question the first time around. Your sheep still might get it if there are too many snails, but having a duck will help.

3. nes

nes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    But can the duck get the parasite?

4. DuckLover9138

DuckLover9138 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    No, it can't. At best, it can carry the eggs and the eggs coming from the poop can infect your sheep. As long as it doesn't eat poop or get it in its mouth... In reality, I don't know if the sheep is quick thinking enough not to eat poop. Your ducks can be infected with other parasites like blood flukes and

Your ducks can be infected with the eggs loads of parasites. I guess wash your hands after petting them? You can get more parasites from the same environment than your ducks.

You should ask your vet. [​IMG] I am just guessing. I can only be sure of two things.

1. Your duck will lower the chances of your sheep getting sick.

2. Your duck will probably catch other parasites if you send it out.

Sorry for being so useless.

5. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    If you let the muscovy free range in the pasture it should be fine. It isn't going to contract anymore parasites than it would if it were a wild muscovy or cooped up in a small enclosure anyhow. the ducks here free range around the horses and garden and pic up dropped grain and small bugs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by