Livestock Guardian Breed Dogs Available for Adoption.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SB Austex, Jul 13, 2010.

1. SB Austex

SB Austex Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Austin
    Two of my dogs are rescued Anatolian Shepherds. Anatolians are a livestock guardian breed. The national breed rescue group was just asked to place three dogs under a year old - WHO HAVE HAVE BEEN RAISED WITH CHICKENS AND GOATS. Obviously, I cannot vouch for these specific animals, but it may be a great match for someone here. (I don't trust my dogs with my chickens, but they were NOT raised with chickens.)

"Iowa: Three 9 mo female Anatolians need fosters or adoptions. Have been raised with goats and chickens. We will help with transport within appx 1,000 miles.
    Can anyone help? They do not need to stay together."

If you have not worked with rescue organizations before, they are wonderful -- much more concerned about a good match between dog and new home since they are not in it for $ (it is a non-profit org). Here is the link to the rescue site:

http://anatolianshepherdrescue.blogspot … month.html

2. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Link doesn't work.

If I had an acerage I would be interested since I'm in Iowa but alas am in the city and have my limit of dogs...

3. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    If they were closer I'd want one!! I'm in MD though. [​IMG]

4. aggieterpkatie

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
  5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Quote:How much does the non-profit rescue charge for adoption?

6. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Oh gosh, I almost sent an e-mail....
    But I'm fostering a German Shepherd right now that doesn't get along with other dogs! [​IMG]
    I wish someone would adopt him already, I'd love to take in one of these girls!

7. SB Austex

May 9, 2010
    Austin
    Thanks, Y'all (especially aggieterpkatie for the link correction) -- Please pass the word to anyone who might be interested. For the right home/match, they will try and put together a transport of up to 1000 miles. I don't know the current adoption fee, but there is contact information on the link.

http://anatolianshepherdrescue.blogspot.com/

8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Boy if i needed more helpers here i would sure get them, they are wonderful dogs and they no dought understand what belongs and what does not.

I hope they find a home on a big farm somewhere they do need lots of room.

9. SB Austex

May 9, 2010
    Austin
    They do well in large space, but fine in medium. I'd hate for someone who would be a great match to be turned off by their size. I have less than 1/2 acre and only part of that fenced - they are not showing any signs of lack of exercise or space.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  10. aggieterpkatie

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    I have about a third of an acre fenced. Do you think that's too small? I dont' really have a *need* for an LGD, but I'd love one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by