1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

livestock Guardian dog broody over chicks again!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GD91, Oct 25, 2013.

1. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    I have a spayed female rotty who LOVES chickens.
    I'm talking from day one when she nicked our first chicks out of the brooder and put them in her bed.
    Now we have six more and of course our pet has pets. I'm not complaining as it means they stay close to her & she cleans them and gets rid of poo. She's on her 3rd batch & she's only 2 years old.
    She's being extra careful this time, last time she had 2 bantam chicks and accidently squashed one. I found her with her remaining ’baby`looking very upset licking the tiny body. She carried it around until I took it off her.
    Usually the chicks get down to their own thing and she just follows them, keeping an eye on them constantly. She chases off everything that may pose a threat by getting between them & whatever is bothering her, usually a cat. Then she just lowers her head & warns it off with growling & snarling, if it continues she lunges and it always runs lol but she never leaves her chicks.
    The chicks run back to her to warm up to as she always lies down to mind them.
    The chicks she has now are standards, will never let her have bantams again. They are just to fragile.
    Just wondering has anyone else got a set up were a dog will care for young chicks successfully?
    Will try & get pics up :)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  2. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    [​IMG]

3. lavender pekins

lavender pekins Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2012
    bless her lol

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    How sweet. I had a female spayed terrier who went ape over baby kittens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by