Livestock guardian dog

Cornchick

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 2, 2013
Hey y'all,
I am looking at getting a LGD to protect my chickens. Do any of y'all have experience with theses types of dogs? Also any suggestions on breed? I am kind of leaning towards an Anatolian or Anatolian cross (we raised newfys for years so I'd rather not have to deal with all the hair on a Pyrenees lol).

Thanks in advance!

God bless,
Nicole.

Hey y'all,
I am looking at getting a LGD to protect my chickens. Do any of y'all have experience with theses types of dogs? Also any suggestions on breed? I am kind of leaning towards an Anatolian or Anatolian cross (we raised newfys for years so I'd rather not have to deal with all the hair on a Pyrenees lol).

Thanks in advance!

God bless,
Nicole.

How large is your property? LGDs want to patrol a large area.

Many breeds of dogs can be trained not to chase chickens and chase away predators.

Thanks for your reply! We have 60 acres but would want the dog to stay with the chickens. I have built a large movable coop out of an old military generator trailer. We would like the dog to stay with and protect the chickens when we move the coop around to fallow the horses and cows (I have a donkey that is quite good at her job to protect my beloved milk cows).

I have read up a lot on them and have read that they can be taught to roam or to stay with a certain animal. Just wanted to see if anyone has had first hand experience with that situation or what breed would do best.

Thanks,
Nicole.

Thank you Bullitt! Those were helpful.

I am talking to someone about a maremma puppy. Does anyone have experience with this breed?

LGD breed may not be all that important with respect to poultry. Dog not likely to bond with birds like it does with a herd so confinement in area with birds may be required. A few acres is better than two for meeting dog's needs for freedom. If birds scattered out at night as with chicken tractors, some dogs with not cover enough area.

Back
Top Bottom