Livestock guardian question..

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Kittikity, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Kittikity

Kittikity Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    I live just outside the city limits so I don't have a huge predator problem.. The most likely problem would be stray dogs, maybe some racoons and possums.. But I'd like to get a livestock guardian just for the peace of mind, if anything.. But I don't know if I should get a dog or a donkey.. I don't have a lot of space so if I went with the donkey it would be a mini donkey.. This guardian would have to be around chickens, rabbits, and goats.. I understand that getting an animal as young as reasonably possible is the best idea, and if they were born around livestock is even better.. So I will definitely be adding that to my search criteria.. I also live in central Florida so something like a great pyrenees wouldn't do well here in our heat.. So which do you all think I should get? A mini donkey or a dog?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  2. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    I don't know alot but some people were saying a llama makes a good guardian

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    A dog is a man's (or a wo man's) best friend!

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Anatolian shepherd! Not all the fur but with the same capabilities as the GP! [​IMG]

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    a donkey will protect livestock?....interesting!..never heard of it...aganist coy dogs?..or just smaller predators?...sorry to piggy back..i'm just interested in this..thanks, Wendy

6. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    Well a mini Donk, won't do you much good, they would take the donkey for dinner! I would go with a GP< but be prepared they like to roam, NEED space and are not quiet. [​IMG]

7. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    i say get a great pyr...awesome guards

8. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Don't go with a mini-donkey for a guardian. For your situation you want a dog!

Donkeys are protective, but most stray dogs that are a nuisance run in packs and a mini donkey would only be a big bloody mess. Donkeys need their size to be effective, because they kick and bite. A mini donkey will only put the donkey's face to face with the dogs(literally) and it would end poorly.

I say get a puppy!! [​IMG]

-Kim

9. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    I have seen our mini donkey run 2 coyotes out of pasture. We have a llama now he is good he ran the neighbors 3 labs off a few times, Why do city folks think it is ok to turn their d**** dog loose when they come to the country. Llamas would be hot in FL. I say spend some time around a donkey then decide

10. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    There is a video online of a mule (donkey x horse) stomping a mountain lion to death. He was being ridden on a trail. They kept being stalked by the mountain lion, so the donkey threw his master off his back and commenced to kill the predator. He was then remounted and they rode off unscathed. So a mini donkey is the ticket!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by