Livestock insurance?

allanimals21

Songster
10 Years
Aug 27, 2009
MN
So long story short we rent from the in laws. They told me the only way I can get another goat is to get livestock insurance. Whats the deal with that? Is it expensive? Is it really needed? Someone anyone? I'm about ready to lose it with this whole situation.

If you are renting you need to find out what insurance the inlaws have on the house. Then talk to them about adding it to the existing policy and paying the difference. Also do you have renters insurance. Maybe you could ask the agent how much the rider would cost.
One place was gonna charge us 500 more a year and the insurance provider I use on the cars only charged about 150 more than normal. Rates differ.

We have our cowherd insured. We have liabilty in case they get out on the road and cause a wreck plus we have the animals themselves insured for things like being hit by lightning. Is it liability insurance they're wanting you to get? Since they are the landowners, they probably want you to get the liability so if they cause damage you're liable for it and not them.

I'm confused. Why do they want you to get livestock insurance?

Livestock insurance typically pays for mortality or theft of animals. The animal is insured. This is not insurance against damage caused by the animal. That should be covered under homeowner or renters insurance. As long as there isn't a clause exempting certain types of animals as pets, you would be covered just as if your dog or cat caused any damage.

hello// most of us don't use the right words when talking about insurance. talk to an agent. to find one ask frends and suchsome companies don't want to deal with small polcies. ask around
minnesota birds

I am a big fan of livestock insurance. We pay .85cents per sheep per year. We decided to get insurance when the power went out and a wild pony we were watching for a family member got loose and ran a riot on the road at night.

yea I don't know what they are looking for. I looked up "livestock insurance" and yea it covered illness and stuff like that but nothing about damages and what not. They are worried that if the goats would get out (which is highly unlikely) and something would happen they are worried about someone coming after them for damages. When their dog got hit a few years back there homeowners insurance dealt with it as far as I know?

I have liability insurance through Farm Family Insurance. It was an add on to my regular policy. I'm not sure how they would handle it if you are renting the property but I bet it is available. With many insurance companies a certain number of animals are covered under a regular homeowners policy, but once you get over that chosen number you are considered a business. It doesn't matter that you actually run a business or not. I have 6 horses and that requires me to have commercial liability insurance. With my insurance company if I had 5 horses I could still be covered under homeowners. It's pretty inexpensive insurance when I compare the risk. For less than 200.00 a year I am covered unless they can prove neglect of my fences. Liability insurance and health, mortality, loss of use insurance are different insurances.

Back
Top Bottom