1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Livestock protection dog?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by marytoast, Feb 21, 2009.

1. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    What is the best livestock protection dog. We are getting goats [​IMG] and trying to learn all we can before we jump in the goating business.
    Thanks!

2. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    a donkey! a good jack will let you know when anything out of the ordinary is going on and they don't like canines in general. I was worried about the coyotes and the donkey seemed to be the best fit for us. And they are sweet and friendly and smart as a whip!

Chris

3. texaschick-a-dee

texaschick-a-dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Texas coast
    great pyrenese make a good protection dog for livestock.

4. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    yeah if you have the room a donkey is the way to go....and you don't have to worry about repeat offenders...one time around with a donkey is usually enough for any predator...I prefer a jenny. I have horses; jacks and mares don't give you good results unless you like mules.

5. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I raise GP/Anatolian mix and they are wonderful with goats and chickens...If by chance you get a donkey you will need a jenny as the males can get agressive and you will have ot have him fixed also. DOgs are better in my book.

6. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    great pyrs!!!!

7. burley

burley Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    Oriential North Carolina
    ANATOLIANS:D

8. lovintheridge

lovintheridge Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    Have you ever thought about a llama? We have one that protects our goats.They are easy to care for and love the fact that their manure can go right on top of soil with out burning plants. They also go in the excat same spot so it makes it easy for clean up. The lamma sleeps right alongside the goats, it's very sweet.

9. FlightsofFancy

FlightsofFancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    Quote:So what does their coat look like?? Pictures PLEASE!!! I am a groomer and groom a ton of LGDs, GP in particlular. I am looking for something with a little less coat than a GP and love the Anatolians. Hmmmmmmm.....

10. burley

burley Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    Oriential North Carolina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by