livestock quard dog? which breed?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by spunky, Jun 15, 2011.

1. spunky

spunky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    We are new chicken/duck lovers. My 11 yr. old has been losing her ducks/chickens to a fox. We were looking into getting a new family dog anyway so now we're wondering if we should look into a livestock guarding breed? We have 10 acres, unfenced. Our flock is free range, returning to the coop for protection at night. The fox is picking them off during the day while we're away. Children are ages 7-15. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

2. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    We have 3 labs and our other chicken lady next door has a Golden...this past weekend..a fox came right out in daylight right near all 4 dogs and tried to run off with my roo..so I would say not labs or goldens!! [​IMG] My friend as a Argentina Dogo on her farm and has had little fox issues with her free ranging chickens! I guess it would depend on the dog..our youngest lab went a little crazy once he relealized what had happened and tried to follow the scent...after the fact! Mabye a hunting type dog like a coon hound? I think our youngest lab would be a good gaurd dog now...after the first attack...mabye!

3. Peck Johnson

Peck Johnson Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Greene County NY
    If you get a livestock guardian dog you will need good fencing - no alternative is reliable. Shock collars are not recommended because the strong willed nature of most LGDs will overcome the collar and if the dog gets out of range it will be reluctant to come back.

We have a Maremma Sheepdog and he is amazing. Our chickens are completely free range and the coop is almost always open. No losses and we live in a rural area with every predator around except wolves. But he does not take to strangers very well. Visitors need to be introduced properly.

Most LGDs will prefer to be outdoors all the time. Ours will not come indoors for anything.

Also LGDs take alot more patience in training. Can't expect too much too soon. Not like a regular dog so don't expect blind obedience.

[​IMG]

4. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    I have 2 great pyreneese and love them. They protect my kids just as much as they do the birds. They are some true gentle giants!

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    we're wondering if we should look into a livestock guarding breed? We have 10 acres, unfenced.

If it's unfenced, you don't need an LGD

Most any "yard dog" will do what you want​

6. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    My doberman is VERY protective of our family. A man came to our door one day trying to sell meat and he was puishy and kind of an A$$. And the second my mom answered the door, she was inbetween my moms legs with a low constant growl. But the second someone that we approved of being their like my grandmother aunt uncle etc.. she was all happy go lucky and tried to give them her toys = ]. She will circle the house inside and out just to make sure their is no predators or anything coming to get us... Now to the chicken part..... At first she wanted to jump all over them. But she is very obedient and with a few NO and LEAVE ITS. She is slowly getting better, but when the chickens venture down to my neighbors, she goes and rounds them back up, and bring them up to the yard..... Last night, their was a bear in my yard eating at the corn [​IMG]. We of course started taking pictures but our dog lost it. She was barking like a wild maniac and running around the house! She didn't even see the bear she just knew it was their. The bear went running. Moral of the story is, I think she would protect the birds if something was to come and try and get them. Dobermans are very protective and energetic. They are great family dogs and we had a 7 and a 8 year old at the time we got our dog. Dobermans can be a bit expensive, if you want the ears to be cropped. So a doberman would be a great idea. There also very easy to train

7. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Anything protective, smart and fast

8. spunky

Apr 25, 2011
    Thanks for all of the relplies....and keep 'em coming. I will not likely fence in the chickens. I'll do some research before choosing! Thanks again!

9. spunky

Apr 25, 2011
    After hearing some eerie howling, we're pretty sure it's not a fox but a coyote. Makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up and my kids ran inside! I think I want a gun AND a dog!

10. ranit

ranit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    I also have a great pyreneese and she is great. Used to have problems with raccoons, coyotes, and fox, but not any more. She seems to know what should be in the yard and what should not - doesn't bother our two cats but will run the neighbors barn cats off. Although it takes a little while before they become true guardians, I recommend getting a pup and letting it grow up around your chickens & ducks. The other thing I love is she is great with people. Although a very large dog she is very gentle with my grandkids (2 & 4 years old).

Also just have to tell this story about her. We have a few rabbits that run loose around the yard. We had bred Shasha and she had puppies in her doghouse. My husband went out one day and looked in the doghouse to check the pups and discovered a baby rabbit. Apparently one of the yard rabbits had babies and they were just starting to get out of the nest. Sasha found it and put it in with her babies. She hadn't hurt it at all, it was a little wet where she had licked it, but otherwise fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by