Livin in a tent

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Ms.Frizzle, May 8, 2011.

1. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Long story short, part of my summer is going to be occupied with a mandatory summer class, and it means the only job I could get is doing janitor work for the month of June. For a college kid, its REALLy good pay, $9 an hour. My choices for housing is rather limited, who's gonna rent a house for a month? But then, low and behold, I got two of my friends(roomie & her bf) jobs with me, and so we might just car-pool from one (her bf) of their houses. Unfortunatly, there really isn't a lot of room there, so I might actually be spending all of June sleeping in a tent in their backyard. Though I can't say that i mind that much, I've got access to their chickens, and might order some chicks while I'm there.

Has anyone else out there found themselves living like a hobo at one point in time?

2. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    [​IMG] LOL I saw the title and the first thing that popped into my head is "How the heck are they getting internet acsess in a tent?" [​IMG] I've never lived in a tent for over a nigh but it seems like fun [​IMG]

3. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never actually lived in a tent but I have had as my domicile the floor, carpeted thankfully, of someone's room in a house which was used for many parties with loud music. It's something best done when you're young I think. Sometimes the best part of an experience is the stories you get to tell later. Good luck!

4. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    My dad got fed up and took the better part of a year to live outdoors along a river. It was the happiest I had ever seen him in many ways

5. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey~ The military do it all the time. As long as you have access to a shower and good food you will probably have a great experience. Good luck and have fun!

6. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    There is a tent prison in Arizona.

7. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    From 1990-1996 I did wildlife contract work. Only very rarely did we spring for lodging. I had a pickup with a topper, and a tent. If I was in one place for long I pitched the tent, otherwise just slept in the truck. I built a raised bed with 6 compartments for storing my stuff. At the tailgate two of these opened to the back as well as top. There I kept my cook kit on one side, and on the other the tools for getting the truck out of bad holes. The compartments closest to the cab contained my business and map files, first aid kit, and automotive tools. The biggest compartments in the middle held clothes and food.

Between field guides and my reading material I figure my truck had as many books as some school libraries! A fiberglass topper is a must, since metal ones sweat bady and make a horrible racket on long drives. This setup traveled with me from the Guadelupe Mountains of New Mexico, Wind River Range in Wyoming, to the Eastern Shore of Virginia... but mostly right here in Kentucky.

Best years of my life!! DO IT!

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  8. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    The first year working like this I didn't have the truck, just the '79 Toyota Supra I bought in high school. Though I never earned more than $14 K any year of that time I paid $7K cash for the truck. Of course gas was only $1-1.15/gal most of that time. I wasn't living badly either - I bought a lot of caving and rock climbing gear, and equipment for work.

9. itsjessme

itsjessme Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Bealeton, VA
    I saw the title and just had to click.......i had the unfortunate pleasure of living in a tent for a whole summer one year!.....it actually wasn't all bad though, it was a beautiful place we where at and it was fun for the most part. My advice to you make sure you keep your tent as dry as you can......we would wake up with everything being damp and after a bit everything started smelling like mildew.......yuck! Other than that and the heat of summer it was actually kinda fun!

10. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Been there!

As a teenager I thought it was terribly fun and peaceful to live in the tent for 3 months.

Mom, however, did not enjoy it.

But the dogs and I did!

One of the best things about it, was every night I was drifting off to sleep, the coyotes not too far away would take up to howling for a good long while... it was so calming I would fall right to sleep. We were in Maine.. out in the boonies, with permission to camp on someones property.
    One of the worst things about it was stupid air mattresses! Deflating under me at night.. towards fall it was freeezing.. and I would jump up shivering my bum off because I was touching the ground... go to the plug in my matress and start blowing it up. Whooo whooo whoo.. and freezing and shivering harder because now my knees were on the tent floor.

Then the spiders.. just daddy long legs.. but after the first month they found their way in and I would wake with a huge spider in the crook of my neck after it had curled up to cuddle and share warmth with me [​IMG]
    NOT! [​IMG] then there would be smushed spider on my neck.

I did love the daytime though... sitting outside where it was sooo peaceful.. watching the doggies and reading my books.

One of the biggest concerns is food storage and preperation.. but since you will be living right near your friends house.. sounds like you will have access to normal facilities and bathrooms/showers. You can also run an extension cord out to your tent.. plug up and fans, lights, radios, and computer.. and if they have a wifi connection, get on here and chat with us, too!

[​IMG] Have Fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by