Living a dream

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SallyF, Jun 24, 2010.

1. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    My DH and I retired and have moved to rural Middle Tennessee, building a small house on part of the farm where I grew up. My chickens are out free-ranging and there is a wild hen turkey having a dust bath in my garden. This morning I took the dogs for a walk and we saw a doe and fawn on the farm lane (actually a real lo-o-o-ng gravel driveway. I cannot see another house from where I live. We moved here from suburban Charleston SC, which was a nice place, but we had 1/3 of an acre and lived on a curve. Lost a mailbox about once a month. Chickens were illegal, but we lived right on the city/county line and there was a flock of "feral" chickens right behind us. My biggest problem right now is figuring out how to get out on the front porch to watch the wild turkey without scaring her away. Yeah, it's nice. Someday there will be problems, but not right now. My thanks to whoever runs this universe.

2. mrkpero

mrkpero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Sounds like heaven! please post some pics so we can enjoy it too!

3. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I will try to post some pictures. We built the house way off the road, so it's private. Also put the back of the house toward the road and the front towards the mountain and away from the road. We can go for days without even seeing a car go by. The road is dead-end, so there is very little traffic anyway. Surrounded by woods, all of which we own. Every other house we've owned has had a view owned by someone else, which they always spoiled. This is the first one where the neighbors can't clear-cut and spoil the view!

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    [​IMG]

Love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by