Living Area Questions -- Newbie Alert!

CESpeed

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 24, 2012
Hot Springs, AR
I've been reading several of the goose threads particualrly the Embeden thread and I have just about decided that I want to give geese a go. I will have a 60 long x 30 deep enclosed "yard" for them and chickens, bearing in mind that I will have to divide that area in half so the chickens and geese don't bother each other.

I know they will need a wading pool to play in, but how big of a pen (or goose coop) would I need for a pair of geese? Do they need a roost like chickens do? Or do I need to provide them with extra straw to build a nest with?

They will be able to run around the yard all day and then put up at night for their safety.

Am I on the right track?

Congrats on your new adventure
wee.gif
and may I say kudos to you for doing research before getting geese
smile.png

Quote:
^ will this be their pen during the day? Not sure what type of terrain you have, but make sure the yard has grass for them to eat.

Geese dont need roosts like chickens. Extra straw sounds great! And you're right, you def want to provide safe shelter for them at night.

If you haven't already, check these threads out:

Raising Geese 101
Goose Coop thread

60x30 of what feet yards metres?
big difference ;)

In a small space such as 60x30 feet you will struggle to maintain any grass for long especially if it is prone to getting wet my 3 chickens and 8 ducks have more than that and it looks like a battlefield at the moment.

So you should at least budget for feeding for the Geese rather than them Grazing

Last edited:
Sorry. That measurement is in feet. How much room square footage wise would be idea for a breeding pair of geese and their offspring?

Housing and yard.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I don't know as I don't have any Geese yet

I have an acre for my birds and whilst I was re fencing it I penned my Chickens and Ducks in an area about the size you have and within 3 weeks the ducks had turned most of it to mud!
The chickens were not at all happy!

Back
Top Bottom