Living in Australia and first time to have chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PattieJ, Jan 4, 2014.

1. PattieJ

PattieJ Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2013
    Australia
    My Coop
    Hi everyone,
    I am living in Australia and this is the first time for me to have chickens. I have 4 Isa Browns and they are laying around 14-18 eggs a week. Having a problem with them wanting to get on the patio when let out of the pen area. I used a water hose on them today which worked. Its summer here and our winters are like spring in the states so its not a problem for me. I have one of my girls a couple of days ago who must of had a egg to break while trying to lay it. I ended up pulling out part of it that was sticking out and she seems to be doing better now. Any ideas on why this happened? I am always looking for advice to make sure that I am doing the right things with the girls.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Chickens tolerate cold a lot better than heat. I wonder if the patio was hot to their feet, or just hotter than the pen. Perhaps the hose cooled it off, or perhaps the cool water felt good. With mild winters, your concern will be enough shade and breeze to keep them comfortable. If they are panting a bit with their mouths open and wings held a little away from their body, they are too warm.

3. PattieJ

PattieJ Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2013
    Australia
    My Coop
    Our temps are pretty moderate. Not cold or hot and we have a breeze every day. I have noticed that one of my girls is laying an extra large egg when the others are not. (they are the same type of chicken) There is also at least one egg a day that is flat on the bottom where it has laid after being laid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by