Living in Reno Nevada

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by henney, Sep 8, 2008.

1. henney

henney Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    Reno Nevada
    Were thinking of moving to Reno area. The weather is good there except for the winters, they get a lot of snow. How does this affect chickens?[​IMG]

2. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    We've lived in Reno for 1 yr then moved to Washoe Valley (between Reno & Carson City). The chickens do fine with snow. Just make sure you give them a covered run so they don't have to walk in breast deep snow when they want to go outside! I've had chickens in the snow as long as I've had chickens (grew up on the CA side of the Sierras). Some walk normal in it, others sort of flap-hop. Very amusing! The coop should be sturdy with a good slant to the roof and I put a red bulb in there when it's cold day and night. No problem. All of our neighbors have chickens (and roosters! it's really loud all day, starts at 3am, back and forth!).

3. mythkat

mythkat Chillin' With My Peeps

The amount of snow you get will depend on where in the Reno area you are. We live about an hour SE and when we get snow it's gone by 10 in the morning (twice last year). The closer to the Sierras the more snow you'll get.

4. henney

henney Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    Reno Nevada
    That's a excellent idea a covered run. They have it covered now to keep predators out and acts as a sun shield. I just wondered what they'd do in the snow.
    Thanks

5. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    I am currently designing a new run...thinking about 6ft 2x4 wire fence burried 12"...covered with that warbly fiberglass panel stuff...the old people who had our house left SOOOOO much of it! Don't know how big to make it though...everything I make always turns out to be too small in the long run!
    The neighbor's coop I can see just has a really long overhand on the front of the building, then the rest of the run is covered with wire...just gets clogged up by leaves or pine needles then they get wet and sag...arg...not doing that again!
    Are you already in Reno or moving here soon?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by