Living life at the bottom of the pecking order

Mikokoke

Songster
6 Years
Mar 7, 2013
Rio Verde Foothills
We brought home our 10 chicks (3 ameraucanas, 3 RIR, 3 black Australorps and 1 silver laced wyandotte)on April 3. They absolutely took over my life! Every day I would sit and observe them interact - they are fascinating, yet simple creatures. I noticed that my little lonely SLW was changing: Bright red comb and bright red waddles. She's a he! Still, the sweetest little bird who would let you catch him and hold him. Then, one of my ameraucanas started to look very different from her sisters: white feathers where the other two had red/golden feathers. "Her" feathers were coming in slower, yet "she" was so much bigger. Not to mention the three rows for a comb and the signs of spurs. Yes, I know, to early to tell, but my gut tells me roo (that's what happens when you become obsessed with chicks).
Needless to say, today I've replaced the ameraucana roo with a pullet and as for the SLW, he's found a home with one of my neighbors who bought chickens from the same place at the same time I did, so he will be ok.
The reason I've started this thread, is to express how easy it is to get caught up in the life of the coop. I actually feel as if I am the bottom of the pecking order. So watch you all you newbies out there, there's no going back, your chicks will take over your life!

chickety-chick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 14, 2012
Kentucky
Love your post! My chickens came home on Saturday, and I am so obsessed with watching, and studying... And most of all taking them treats. It was a little cool this mornings so they got warm oatmeal, with dried fruit in it. Hilarious to watch them hunt for the "bugs".

Mikokoke

Songster
6 Years
Mar 7, 2013
Rio Verde Foothills
Nev
Love your post! My chickens came home on Saturday, and I am so obsessed with watching, and studying... And most of all taking them treats. It was a little cool this mornings so they got warm oatmeal, with dried fruit in it. Hilarious to watch them hunt for the "bugs".[/qu
That's a good idea about the oatmeal and dried fruit. Maybe once it starts to cool off and hopefully by then, they'll start laying, i can consider the oatmeal. Anytime of day or do they prefer mornings?

theoldchick

The Chicken Whisperer
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 11, 2010
I love watching chickens, too! And BYC is flooded with my chicken photos!

Top Bottom