Living, Loving, Learning......New recruit to BYC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lady Marmalades, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Lady Marmalades

Lady Marmalades Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    Brisbane
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

G'day Everyone!

My name is Samara...I am married and have 2 kiddies(11 and 8).
    We live in Brisbane , Australia.

Having recently moved to a semi-rural property we have realised one of our desires ...that being to have our own chooks![​IMG]

We rescued 5 ISA brown Ex-Battery Hens almost a month ago...Our girls are approximately 15 -18 months old ....and were apparently past thier best as battery hens...but they have been a delight for us...laying well and providing much enjoyment and fulfillment.

My Hubby built them a Palace of a Chook Shed which we have named ""Lady Marmalades""...as they are all varying shades of Orange and such sweeties. [​IMG]

We have named our girls:

BOK BOK - Always the first to say hello very talkative
    PEX - Pecks @ anything and everything ..lol
    SUNRISE - Always the first to get up in the morning
    ROSIE - Is Rose coloured...very pretty girl
    and FANTA - Light orange...just like the Fanta drink

I will post pics later when the camera charges up ...

All was going extremely well until this week.....i have a feeling Fanta has taken a turn for the worst....[​IMG] [​IMG]

After reading the many many forum posts ...I feel I must dash quickly the produce store for some ailment supplies....
    She has symptoms that could be a few things ranging from parasites to old age:

Letheragy/Sleepy
    Very quiet
    Still
    Wings hanging
    Yellowy green poop
    Other Hens picking on her([​IMG])
    Pale comb and Wattles
    Seems to be limping
    Little interest in Food Water

....Wish me luck ...We will do our best to help her pull through

All the other girls are fit and well...we are so pleased to give them a second chance @ life [​IMG]

2. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    [​IMG] And good luck with your flock!

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Samara, we are so glad you joined BYC and the world of rescuing chickens to give them a good life.

I am concerned about Fanta too. She is probably having "mechanical" internal problems since your other girls are okay. Many of us have lost pullets to this kind of thing.

How is she today?

4. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    [​IMG] and hello from Indiana

5. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    [​IMG] hello and welcome from NE Ohio, USofA

6. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Welcome! I love your name and avatar!
    I have had a broody like that!

Good luck with Fanta!

7. Lady Marmalades

Lady Marmalades Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    Brisbane
    Good Morning Fellow Clucksters [​IMG]

Thankyou so much for your warm welcome and wonderful advice....I am sure we will treasure the wealth of knowledge to be found here @ BYC...

I went to the produce store yesterday to collect some bits and pieces for the girls ...in particularly Fanta ...to aid her recovery.

My shopping list was:
    Meal Worms
    Probiotic Powder
    Worming liquid
    Molasses

The Meal worms were a hit!!...Fanta has been feasting on them..much to her delight![​IMG]

I have added the Probiotic Powder to her water...she is not very interested...although she will take small amounts from my cupped hand or a spoon...so @ least I know she is getting some fluids.

I have not give the worming liquid yet...I might give her that tomorrow, I did not want to bombard her with to many things @ once.

I mixed up some natural youghurt with a smidge of molasses and oats...She is quite happy to eat this from a spoon...
    No grubby beaks for Fanta! [​IMG]!

I am fortunate to have found a passionate local Vet ..who provides a free poultry examination service ...We are off to see her this afternooon...Hopefully She will be able to give a difinative answer to Fanta's ailment.

I am posting below a couple of pics of Fanta in the makeshift sick chook box we put together for her...I am a novice @ posting pics on Forums... so will provide the photobucket link as well so you can see them a bit better.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr15/maramum/Lady Marmalades/Image016.jpg

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr15/maramum/Lady Marmalades/Image015.gif

Thankyou again for your wisdom and willingness to help...I will keep you posted on her progress...Cheers Samara [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by