Living near weekly auction that sells gorgeous chickens...

chickenannie

Songster
12 Years
Nov 19, 2007
Pennsylvania
Help! Every week this auction house down the road sells everything from exotics and silkies to RIRs and banties. I've avoided it for a long time, but I'm slipping... now I can't help from stopping in before the auction, and this website is just encouraging me to get more...

Today for Easter they brought out the serious ammo. Baby everything! Ducks, chicks, bunnies, goats, lambs, quail, fantail doves, and some gorgeous Black Spanish turkeys. Well, rationalize, rationalize... I guess 1 more (or 2 or 3) won't hurt....

I feel your pain! I live 5 minutes from the largest poultry auction in all of SE Oklahoma.
By some 'miracle' I have only gone once (I came home with 15 chicks that time), but I just can't stand it any longer, I think I will start going again.

....... oh, sorry... I guess I wasn't much help
roll.png

Last edited:
This is so not fair! the dummies that have the livestock auctions where I live only have four-legged animals! How dumb can ya get?

:lol:prolly a good thing.......sigh

Lucky you guys there is on that i go to but it only happens once a year and that is in May and I tell you I can;t stand it much longer I need my chicken fix
big_smile.png

The only problem is that you never know what you're getting at this auction because you only see the chickens for a brief period and the labels say "hen" or "rooster".

No one there ever "looks" like they have any money, but a lot of cash is certainly passing hands.

I think it's obvious that I'm not experienced at auctions! Plus you never know if someone is getting rid of castoffs. So... it's not necessarily like ordering chicks from a reputable place.

Unfortunately from what I've observed at the auction the animal "handlers" are cruel too. Even the owners/sellers/buyers don't seem to respect the animals from the way I see them grabbing the birds and bunnies. It sickens me -- that's another reason why I don't go. I typically want to buy every adorable little creature just to give it a good home and ensure it's good treatment. Is it that way at all animal auctions?

See...I don't think we have poultry auctions where I live. We have the type that you could buy a meat chicken at, but not a nice show bird. Dh does not want to ove to the mid-west either
idunno.gif

I can't offer you any help.. I need it myself !! There's one near us about once or twice a month... Last weekend, though I didn't get any chickens, I came away with 8 more ducks and 36 duck eggs (in bator now)

I love going to them, they have so many diff breeds and you can get really good buys...

Back
Top Bottom