Living roof and walls.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Moabite, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    So I have a 6ft by 8ft fiberglass truck topper coop that is attached to a 3ft high 2x4 constructed frame, wrapped in hardware cloth. My chickens have been happy and safe for nearly a year in there, but I'd like to take my Po'Dunk Hillbilly coop up a few notches in aesthetics and comfort.

Note: Pictures are out of date, waiting on DW to find USB cable for our camera

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plan:

1.) Build simple 2x6 frame as a "crown" on top of coop as a shallow planter.

2.) Fashion living wall out of cocao matts and peat moss along steep sloped upper walls held in place by poultry wire that is attached to upper "crown" and at
    the bottom above the hardware cloth frame.

3.) Add dirt and compost to roof.

4.) fashion irrigation to work with existing garden system.

5.) Plant with grasses and chicken friendly plants, vines and flowers.

Coop is already partially protected by trumpet vines that grow above it and behind it on the North side, but the sun gets so very intense here in the summer.
    A living roof will drop the temps in the coop in the summer and help insulate in the winter.

Topic is officially opened for input and I would love to get as many plant suggestions as I can.

2. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    I love love adding plant ideas

And would love to seen your trumpet vine in bloom..I just planted some

What about
    Grape vines, passifloras,hotnloving climbing roses
    Some skyrocket jupitersnin the corners

Good luck to u

3. Moabite

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    Ok. Here is a picture of the trumpet vine. You can see the roof of my coop shining above the cedar fence on the right. Trumpet Vines are growning on the chain link fence, tallest greenery in the pic excepting the poplar trees. These vines are probably 20 years old or more and they are invasive. On the plus side they look great, chickens, bees, birds, love them.[​IMG]
    Thanks for the plant ideas too, I'm gonna look them up.

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    When I built my Coop, it was in direct sunlight. (Years ago) Now it's shaded all summer from the everbearing Illinois Mulberry trees, which also drop food to the chickens during the summer. During the winter when the leaves are gone, the Coop gets the sunlight it needs. I liked the free food idea so much that has been working, that I planted Apples and Persimmon trees in the Run to extend the free food season well into fall. The Apples will be windfalling about the time the Mulberries taper off and the Persimmons hang onto the trees here well into November.
    So, if you are going to plant shade for the chickens, why not use something suitable for your climate that will also provide food? See my BYC page for pics of my Coop and Run.

5. Moabite

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    Darkmatter, I love it! I'm thinking strawberries on the side, rye and wheat on top for starters. I'm planting BOSS in the garden for them too.

6. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

I LOVE your creativity and the use of the campershell! I've seen some that utilized the shell for shelter, but didn't raise it up. What a great idea. I also agree with the feeding idea. My DH doesn't always see eye to eye on the stuff I do with my animals, so I'm not able to do some of the things you do. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate it!

Great job!

7. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Our zoo did that with our meerkat exhibit. The night house is "green" with a roof that has grasses all over it. They said it helps with temperature control, in both summer and winter. Sorry, no suggestions on plants, but I wish you the best of luck with your endeavor.

8. Moabite

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    Well, originally I had my eye out for a scrap piece of pond liner to begin the roof with, but one never materialized. I tried to sell the topper for $20 and I didn't get a single call. So I needed a roof and had an excess topper so I'd lay awake at night until I figured out the best way do it. I was able to make the whole thing for price of anodized screws and poultry wire. Last fall someone gave me a partial roll of hardware cloth that was perfect sized with 10 inches to spare. I feel that Destiny built my coop. Destiny puts obsessions into my head and wont let me rest until Destiny is fulfilled. Thanks for the kind words.

9. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Just a word of caution with the cocao fiber matting. Dogs love it! Just like with chocolate it can be toxic to them.

I'm excited to see this project!

10. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    What did you do? Give the chickens the kids rooms? Looks like the kids will be needing more head room. I have to say......... very creative coop. I like it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by