Living roof on the coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fivecents, Sep 9, 2010.

1. fivecents

fivecents Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Strafford, Missouri
    Does anyone else have a living roof on their coop? My husband made a large scale version of the bird houses/feeders he makes with living roofs. It's planted with winter hardy/drought tolerate sedums--requires no watering other than the rain! Should look great next spring [​IMG]

2. operator16

operator16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Colorado
    What region do you live in? Do you have any pictures? It sounds very cool!

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
  4. itsachicken

itsachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    St. Louis
    Here's my version

[​IMG]

This picture was taken fairly early in the season. It really did keep the coop substantially cooler and we've had way more basil, oregano and such than we can use.

5. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yeah, but my chickens would just fly up there and eat all the basil and turn it into a dust bath!

6. DutchieWannabe

DutchieWannabe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    Idaho
    @ FiveCents, where do u live? obviosuly different locations would provide better abilities to have a living roof. I LOVE the idea. Just wondering if it would work for me........ Its Hot and dry here in the summer and the winters are pretty cold (not insanely cold, but I am in the Rocky Mountains) and which plants did u use?

7. fivecents

fivecents Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Strafford, Missouri
    I live in Southern Missouri--zone 5. The sedums that I planted are zone 3-4, so they can handle very cold winters and love the heat! He made horizontal slats in the roof and covered it with a water proofing material. I then used a little soil/compost mixture and 3 bales of sphagnum moss. Then secured it with chicken wire. They types of sedums I used were: Gold moss, Angelina and Blue spruce--these seem to work best in the living roofs that he makes for the bird houses and feeders. I just used starts this year, so by next spring I should have a "green" roof. My chicks are secured in their coop and run, so I don't know if they would eat the sedums or not. I do know the are deer resistant!

[​IMG]

8. operator16

operator16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Colorado
    These two coops are wonderful! What a great idea. It's a great way to keep the coop cooler and have a little patch of garden in an unpredictable place. I do wonder about keeping the birds out. I can just see my girls up there tearing it up taking their dust baths as they kick all the dirt out onto the ground.

9. GermanChick

GermanChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    Cool !!! Like the idea, looks very nice.

10. Tropical Chook

Tropical Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Great idea if you can get away with doing it. All my birds free range from dawn to dusk, and it would only take them minutes to discover their new roof top treat garden [​IMG] I am experimenting though with different plants, but it's a long road. So far, none of the birds, ducks included, seem to like the taste of Lemon Basil, but not much else survives. Thought I would at least be able to grow some extra hot chillies, but no way, the obviously enjoy spicy treats as well, or at least, my two ducks do.

It's quite ironic really, because everyone builds chicken tractors and chicken runs, and here I am thinking about building a "herb and vegetable" run so I can actually grow something [​IMG] I'm not complaining though because I prefer chicken and egg to vegies anyway.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by