Living together?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by navasima, Nov 1, 2011.

1. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    No not chicken s and quail! lol

Can Bobwhites and Cotournix live together? or rather...can they do so well and happily?

Thanks-

2. quailmale

quailmale Chillin' With My Peeps

Nope.......[​IMG]

3. navasima

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Cool - thanks

4. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Quote:You can have bobs and coturnix together but happy is not what I would call it. You are much better off keeping them in separate quarters. Same barn, leanto, etc. but different pens.

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    It's a trial and error thing at times as some bobs and coturnix can cohabit just fine. If bred together they can create the bobbird. Bobwhites can be quite vicious and rough to others so I keep them by themselves. Even bobwhite chicks have beaten up other quail babies from personal experience. In large aviaries however, people have the two together just fine.

6. navasima

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Ah! Well, my setup is definitely small scale. lol

BTW: Since I hate to see my poor little girls all baldheaded...I've asked the woman I got them from to bring me 3 more girls. [​IMG]
    You'd think 6 to 1 would be okay! Sigh, if my little man would like more in his harem...who am I to stand in his way? Since I'm not breeding, not so worried about 9 to 1 [​IMG] This should be okay?

My only request was that they be " not brown" so I can't wait to see what comes!

7. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Quote:It will give the poor little hens a break. Since the cots comes in such an array of colors, it will neat to see what the lady brings you! Even though you're not breeding now...even at 9-1, you shouldn't have fertility issues, but that would be a stretch. Since you're not breeding, could you "swap" your male with your supplier for another hen?

good luck!

8. navasima

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Well...I did notice that some little incubators are pretty inexpensive......think I'll keep him for now..... [​IMG]

Hey! News! She's bringing my girls soon: white, Tibetan and a golden. Yay!

I started wondering which quail species could live together when I realized how much I'm enjoying them. I understand about Bobwhites...How about button? Or is it better to just keep Cots with Cots? This is strictly for me, so not an option if it will make my mousies unhappy.... [​IMG]

9. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    I had a little button with cots for awhile in the brooder, and the little stinker started to bully them. [​IMG]

But really, button would not do to well with cots in my opinion. One the size difference is a factor, and buttons need to be kept just one pair to a cage, and should not be out doors in temps below 40 I believe. I am just starting to raise both, and I will be keeping buttons in the house.

I'm glad your enjoying your birds and your new ones sound great!

Bfrancis had a good point about getting rid of the male , but it will be just too tempting to want to incubate some of them eggs! And yur looking at incubators now. [​IMG]

I'm using the Havobator genisis 1588 and love it!

We just put 10 of our own in the bator not to long ago and i'm anxious to see how they do! 6 more days I think! 8 are good!

Hope to see pics of your new birds soon!

10. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    For a smaller incubator, we use a Brinsea Octo 20. For big hatches (for us) we use 2 little giants with good success. This winter, I'm going to try my hand at a homemade cabinet type.

I think you might want to stick with just the cots for now...they come in so many colors it will be like have several different types together.

Good luck with your new quail hobby...sure there are few on here that help you get even more [​IMG]

PS. We do want to see pics soon of your current little ones!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by