Living together

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MSUredneck, Mar 10, 2013.

1. MSUredneck

MSUredneck Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I have a breeding pair (runner and a buff) living outside at the moment in a huge pen. I plan on moving my two new arrivals outside into the same pen once they're old enough. Is this possible? I'm assuming I have a male blue swede and a female Campbell. I've been letting the adults around the kids and my female buff doesn't mind them but the male does. Will a co-habitat be possible?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    2 drakes inside a pen together may not be a very good thing, Drakes most of them won't tolerate another drake in close proximity if there are ducks around, you'd probably be better off separating you pen and run so they can have their own separate space. and try letting them free range together after mating season is over. I have 3 drakes and a gander and have seen fighting often so far this year and have to separate if it gets out of hand but my ducks have free range over a very large fenced in area so can stay out of each others way pretty easy, and none of my drakes sleep together, they all have their own stall inside the duck house. what size is your pen and do you plan on free time at all?

3. MSUredneck

MSUredneck Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    My pen is 20'x20', but I open the gate and let them roam the entire yard during the day. My drake doesn't tolerate the other ducks anywhere near him, so putting them in the pen is an awful idea. I'm just worried ill have to separate the pairs and stress them all out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by