Living with 1 good leg ...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kimb, Jan 26, 2011.

1. kimb

kimb Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I have a NN frizzle roo who I believe dislocated his leg a while back... (maybe broke it/slipped something) he had limped along for a few days - not bad but enough to notice. I kept an eye on him to make sure he was eating/drinking and getting around. And he did... After a week of it not getting better or worse and the 1st night he didn't jump up on the perch to sleep, I brought him inside for a thorough inspection - Nothing seemed bent or broken, but his hock was "wobbly" ... so I put him in ICU for a few days where he could rest peacefully and not move around so much... That seemed to do more harm than good - as now the leg is "dead" he doesn't move his toes at all. He doesn't try to put weight on the bad leg at all.

It's been about a month - I watch him closely every day , make sure he eats & drinks (and he does). He's content sleeping in the lower level with the silkies (they have their own addition on the side of the coop where they sleep - so that they don't huddle under everyone on the perches). He hops around fairly well (even in/out of the coop about 6" when it was nicer out) ... Only a few brave souls have been wandering out of the coop for the past few weeks as the temperature has been absolutely frigid and many of the ladies are molting.

Are there any precautions I can take (other than assuring he can get around, and that he has food/water). Everyone established their pecking order earlier this summer - he's really the "neutral" guy - he wasn't a bully and he doesn't get bullied, he's just "there".

I know once he gets out and about again -I need to watch his other leg for any sores from being dragged (thinking of applying "newskin" to protect the leg once they start being more active outside). He seems to be aware of his limitations - they have free range of 4 acres, and he stuck around the coop before we got all the snow.

Any other advice/suggestions?
    Am I being cruel and selfish to let him live like this?
    Anyone have any success stories?

2. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    If he's eating and drinking and getting around I see no problem. Sounds like the pecking order is established. I'd give him a chance. [​IMG]

3. kimb

kimb Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I just want to make sure he has a quality of life. . . [​IMG] ... I think if he can manage in this weather - he'll be much happier come the warmer months ...

[​IMG]

4. chickiedoo

chickiedoo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2010
    As long as he seems normal besides the leg I would think he's ok. I havent had any sort of experience with this so I dont know if this would be an actual concern or not but I would worry if its ok for him to keep the non functioning leg. Like...if it were some type of infection (or could become infected from being dead?) could it then spread to his bloodstream or something? Hope I'm not causing concern un-necessarily but I know if it were my chicken it would be something I would question.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by