Living with chickens and pigs increases my SWINE FLU risk?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by paxicotrader, Oct 14, 2009.

1. paxicotrader

paxicotrader Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    My father sent me an email today warning me that farmers who keep both free range chickens and pigs are at higher risk for contracting swine flu. He encouraged me (and all our children) to get the swine flu vaccine.

I NEVER get any flu shot. Last time I had the flu was about 10 years ago. I don't consider myself high risk.

Anyone else heard this about poultry/pig farms?

Our is not a big operation. About 30 free-rangers and 4 pigs.

2. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
  3. robbdebbie

robbdebbie Professional Chicken Bather

Jun 18, 2009
    Madisonville, LA
    That is just a urban legend. My family actually got the swine flu, and it was pretty awful for about 2 days. I would not get the vaccine myself had I not gotten it. I have been allergic to vaccines previously, so that is my reasoning why I don't get any flu shots. I would say it is a personal choice, but the livestock doesn't increase your odds of getting it.

4. paxicotrader

paxicotrader Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    I just found this article
    http://www.boingboing.net/2009/04/27/swine-flu-fun-facts.html

Quote: "But from what I've read, and from the researchers I've spoken with, it seems more likely that H1N1 would have been created in the communal barn of a SMALL FARM, than in a giant hog-only factory farm shed."

Ok, so is it bad that sometimes a few of our chickens get in the hog pen?

5. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    THE H1N1 VIRUS IS VERY DIFFERENT FROM THE FLU THAT NORMALLY CIRCULATES IN NORTH AMERICAN PIGS

Please stop referring to it as the "Swine Flu".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by