Living with Pet Chickens?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Henpecked, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Henpecked

Henpecked Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Magnolia, TX
    Does anyone "live" with their chickens? I read some posts here and there where it seems the chicks and/or hens are more indoor pets than livestock. I deeply love my chickens and although I wouldn't want to do it all the time - it would be nice if I could invite my hens inside occasionally. How do you handle the poop?

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I know someone that has house chickens. Didn't plan it that way, but she was afraid the bantams would get picked on too much by her standard hens. She hopes to intergrate them during the summer. that being said, she has diapers for her 2 chickens, but found it such a pain that she just picks up after them with toilet paper. Thery're in an indoor coop while she's at work. She has towels on the corner of her couch where they'll sit and share an ornage with her..lol...cute, huh? She also has a couple of out door chickens that will come into her kitchen to get treats. She also has a bottle of clorax cleaner handy!!

3. LeeLeesFarm

LeeLeesFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    So. California

I love my little Silkie girl so much, too, that I don't really want to put her out either!

I was letting her run around on the wood floor in the kitchen while I cook, but that gets a little old .... bending over and cleaning up before I walk thru droppings isn't the most pleasant.

So, now I am simply taking time at night to have her on my lap as I watch tv or read, or type on this Forum, as Silkie and I are doing right now. [​IMG] I drape my lap and couch with towels, or if I sit on the carpet I sit on towels and let her walk around. She really stays close to me still so I don't have to worry about her droppings all over my carpet. (She is just 7 wks right now).

If she is out in the new tractor for most of the day (new tractor my hubby just made for me ... yay, hubby !!!!), then I may not feel too bad about keeping her in a cage in my living room at night ..... ?? maybe. I may even feel like it is spoiling her, as our summers get ROASTING HOT in the California desert and I can bring her in the cool a/c [​IMG]

Just contemplating the process ..... I'll see if I get tired of keeping the indoor cage clean and fresh smelling ....

Lee

4. doc_gonzo

doc_gonzo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2007
    Evening Shade, Ar
    ummm,kay,

paris,

are you doing their nails yet?

[​IMG]

5. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Quote:I used to paint my house chickens nails! Bubblegum Pink [​IMG]
    I now have two chick that will be permanent house chickens a BJG and a SLC.
    There are several members here who have house chickens!

6. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  7. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Hey I'm on that group DL! [​IMG]

8. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Now how come no one has mentioned this before??????? [​IMG] Off to join....................

9. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    A diaper might be useful. I want our chickens to be house chickens but "oooooooh no," says my mom (SeaChick). :mad:

10. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Oh yes, diapers are a must!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by