Livonia, MI notice on the door today.

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by dsp, May 24, 2010.

1. dsp

dsp Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    Hey all great site.

We recieved a notice on the door today from the ordinance officer. Went to his office with mrtfa, and he said we would have to make an appointment with the city attorney.

Tried to make an appointmet with city attorney, of course he could not talk to us, have to wait until tommorow to talk to him. I will keep you informed.

Dave

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Best of luck to you. [​IMG]

3. Francis K

Francis K New Egg

May 15, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Good luck to you, please let me know how it goes. I grew up in Livonia and my parents still live there, eventually the plan is to move my flock to my parents house when they are ready to retire and not being able to have chickens is a BIG deal breaker!

4. dsp

dsp Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    Well currently Livonia is not being easy to deal with. I took copies of MRTFA and a pamplet from Feb 10 2010 that explains who is protected... also a collection of current Michigan Supreme Court Cases. I ( the wife) was called "honey" and told that they ( at the ordinance office) were sure their attorneys could find a loop hole in the law!!!!!!

Nice, huh?

5. dsp

dsp Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    The lawyer for the city said we are within the law, but he says the law isn't intended for us. The problem is this is a misdemeanor. We contacted a ag lawyer today, and he told us we have a strong case. So if they proceed with their illegal bullying, we will move the hens and sue the city for trampling our rights. I might have to start a chicken farm legal defense fund.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  6. dsp

dsp Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    The mayor of the city called my wife today and told her to hold off on moving the chickens. He wants to meet her tomorrow with the cities lawyer and our lawyer to discuss things. I am hoping that they are going to back down. They sent the ordinance violation out today, they told us to disregard it.

Dave

7. Marie1234

Marie1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Hey that sounds like a lot of progress in a good direction.

Today I got my notice of my pre-trial date and a date and time for my formal hearing.

8. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    I hope it goes well for you.

9. Marie1234

Marie1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Quote:Who is the AG Lawyer? My husband gave me a budget for this. He bought a antique tractor and I have the same amount for legal expenses. (Darned good thing I didn't say anything about the tractor when he brought it home but that the paint looked original and good.)

10. MI-CHick

MI-CHick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2010
    interesting

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by