1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Livornese (aka Leghorn) chickens highlighted in La Cucina Italiana

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by annaraven, Feb 22, 2011.

1. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    The April 2011 issue of La Cucina Italiana has an article highlighting the amazing eggs from Livornese chickens. I think it's funny that the article writer refers to them as a "local heritage breed (its name taken from the nearby port town of Livorno) is known as a prodigious egg layer." Um, yeah. Leghorns are. He doesn't seem to realize that Livornese chickens are known in the US as Leghorns. [​IMG]

In any case, the eggs are selling for some outrageous amount (like $4 each!) for *cooking* and I think it's because these people just don't know any better. I mean, granted, my light brown leghorn does lay pretty great eggs with awesome yolks. [​IMG]

Anyways - there are also some great egg recipes in the magazine. Check it out.

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    funny!
    great share [​IMG]

3. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Thanks for sharing. I'm going to cruise through all of the editions/recipes they have posted.

Go figure about the Leghorn eggs. Wish we could get $4 ea for ours. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by