Lixit dog waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sassifrassi, May 15, 2011.

1. sassifrassi

sassifrassi Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2010
    Toronto
    Has anyone used the lixit dog waterer attached to the end of a garden hose to give a constant supply of water to their chickens? Its not the ball and tube kind - its the one with a lever. I saw a You-Tube video of Guineas using one. Wondering if there are any cons to this?
    My 2 weeks olds already drink out of a bottle.

Thanks,
    Michelle

2. CheekyChooks

CheekyChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Doncaster
    I'd be interessted in this too. Do you have a link/picture we can see?

3. sassifrassi

sassifrassi Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2010
    Toronto
    OK - I have tried posting a pic but its not working. Google Lixit Dog Faucet Waterer. It should come up. There is someone else on this site that uses one and has had no problems for 1 1/2 years. They have it attached to some PVC piping fashioned so that it is about 18 inches off the ground and hanging perpendicular to the ground - as I unerstand it. There is no pic either. My only concern is that the water pressure from the house would spray the birds in the face. I asked this person if they used a pressure reducer in the line but they haven't got back to me yet. I was hoping to attach it to a garden hose and run it to the coop. It seems like a great solution for the warmer seasons.

4. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! We have one, I am trying to find it...to put in as another water spot in the run. If I can find it and get it out there, i'll let you know! I think it should work...they peck at everything! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by