Lizard has a split beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gettinaclue, Sep 19, 2010.

1. gettinaclue

gettinaclue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Virginia
    One of my BO hens named Lizard has a split beak. It runs in a straight line from the tip and center of the front about half way back the beak toward her head.

We just discovered this a little while ago when we let them out to free range for a bit. She is one of our flightiest birds and doesn't really like for us to pick her up so we only look her over about once a week. The crack is small - not wide, but I can see dirt wedged in the crack. No blood - fresh or dried. Her beak is a bit over grown but she seems to be eating and drinking just fine.

Should I trim her beak for her? I read somewhere here that pedipaws is great for trimming beaks, but I would really rather not stress her overly if it isn't necessary.

Should I treat her beak in anyway to keep it cracking further?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Personally, I wouldn't trim it, as I'd be afraid of causing more damage. If you can get hold of her without upsetting her too badly, like off the roost at night, maybe you can get a closer look, maybe clean it up a little.

Good chance it will heal on its own, I would think, whether you mess with it or not.

3. gettinaclue

gettinaclue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Virginia
    ddawn, those we my thoughts as well. Thanks very much for chiming in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by