Llamas??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sandy sea, Dec 1, 2008.

1. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    I have two pot bellied pigs and chickens that get along together well. I have an opportunity to get a llama but would like some information about them. Should they get along with my pot bellied pigs or would they need a seperate enclosure?

Getting a llama- good idea or bad?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  2. We have miniature horses. Got some mama Lamas with thir babies at the auction (cchheeaapp) isolated them for 6 weeks and they are out in the pasture as I type. They are wonderful animals. No problems and they will protect your herd.

I would not think they would pose a problem with your piggy

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    My llamas go after my pigs if they cross paths. Eventually they reached a detente when the llamas realized the pigs belonged to me... kinda like how they don't go after my dog if she's with me.

4. ChooksinIowa

ChooksinIowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Van Meter, Iowa
    I don't have pot bellied pigs but I have mini goats (Nigerian dwarf and pygmy goats) and I have loads of chickens, as well as some sheep. I have three female llamas and they get along wonderfully with all the animals. When I got 2 of them, they had only ever been with horses and donkeys. The 3rd one had been with sheep. She is a proven flock guardian and had killed a fox that got into the sheep pen at her previous home. We love the way they keep an eye on things and they are very gentle with the mini goats. Thus, I would not anticipate a problem, but one can never know for sure. Any chance you could take the llama for a "test run" at your farm and see how things go? Responsible sellers would hopefully be willing to do that, in order to find the best home for their animal(s) and to be respectful of yours.

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I also should have pointed out that llamas are not failproof as guardian animals. We still lose lambs; just we lose fewer now. The advantage to llamas is you can manage them identically to your sheep/goats they are protecting.

Guardian dogs are a better option, but require feeding and they don't really reach their full potential until they're about 2 years old.

6. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

Every flock and pet yard is different - but mine is a mix of one pygmy goat, one Llama, and one Pot Belly Pig - it works beautifully for us...The pig - Mouse - and the Llama - Big Sweetie - have shared the Pet area with the chickens for years - the little Pygmy Goat joined them in June with her sister (we lost her during kidding)...not a problem.
    Enjoy
    Tina

7. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    Everyone else have ideas if a llama and a pot bellied pig would get along? Not sure if I should try it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by